• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

questions on scaling, moderating, aligning marks (2 Viewers)

neuvie

HSC
hey guys so i sort of have a few questions about aligning and scaling and all. been reading about it on some forums like bos, reddit and others as well as matrix, uac, etc but some give me mixed answers or maybe im really confused.

are assessment marks moderated based on raw or aligned marks?
do atar calculators use raw or aligned marks to calculate atar, and does this include the influence of internal marks?
is scaling only relevant when calculating aggregates/totals of all subjects combined?

my hsc is in shambles and im expecting a 60-65 atar when i want 69. but i definitely will have more questions thank you very much!! :punch:

e8zks

HSC
hey guys so i sort of have a few questions about aligning and scaling and all. been reading about it on some forums like bos, reddit and others as well as matrix, uac, etc but some give me mixed answers or maybe im really confused.

do atar calculators use raw or aligned marks to calculate atar, and does this include the influence of internal marks?
is scaling only relevant when calculating aggregates/totals of all subjects combined?

my hsc is in shambles and im expecting a 60-65 atar when i want 69. but i definitely will have more questions thank you very much!! :punch:
this might help, https://rawmarks.info/

iloveeggs

future cat lady <3
HSC
1. https://www.nsw.gov.au/education-and-training/nesa/hsc/exams-and-marking/assessment-moderation - this should answer that question. basically assessment marks (if you are talking about school marks) don't matter, its just your rank that matters at the end of the day. and that is based on your raw mark (scaled/altered by your school to account for any issues e.g. if the school exam paper had a printing issue or time issues etc.).

2. to my understanding, instead of inputting your raw marks for internals it is better to do a past hsc paper (2023 usually), take your raw mark and check it against the raw marks database for that specific year to see approximately what your aligned mark would have been, and then input that into the atar calculator. even better if its an atar calculator that takes into account what school you are in. im not 100% sure abt this tho, and i think atar calculators don't necessarily give you the most accurate estimates

3. this video should help, it's a really simplified version of what happens with nesa so if you want a deeper understanding of these processes you should go on the nesa website

neuvie

HSC
1. https://www.nsw.gov.au/education-and-training/nesa/hsc/exams-and-marking/assessment-moderation - this should answer that question. basically assessment marks (if you are talking about school marks) don't matter, its just your rank that matters at the end of the day. and that is based on your raw mark (scaled/altered by your school to account for any issues e.g. if the school exam paper had a printing issue or time issues etc.).

2. to my understanding, instead of inputting your raw marks for internals it is better to do a past hsc paper (2023 usually), take your raw mark and check it against the raw marks database for that specific year to see approximately what your aligned mark would have been, and then input that into the atar calculator. even better if its an atar calculator that takes into account what school you are in. im not 100% sure abt this tho, and i think atar calculators don't necessarily give you the most accurate estimates

3. this video should help, it's a really simplified version of what happens with nesa so if you want a deeper understanding of these processes you should go on the nesa website
ahhh i get it now thank you so much 😭
so moderation of assessment marks is only based on the raw marks that everyone got, then alignment is only for marks based on external

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)