• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Quote meaning (1 Viewer)

Akshara Patil

HSC
"Was ever woman in this humor woo'ed? Was ever women in this humor won?" - pretty standard quote, just wanted to know what you guys take from this (btw its from KRIII)

SCREW L+S

HSC
N/A
"Was ever woman in this humor woo'ed? Was ever women in this humor won?" - pretty standard quote, just wanted to know what you guys take from this (btw its from KRIII)
What act and scene was this said in I'm asking cuz for like context

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Consider the following explanation with respect to this quote:

Having won over Anne’s hand in marriage, which is not an insignificant event by any means considering that he murdered her husband and father-in-law, King Henry VI. Richard cruelly gloats in his victory. He feels determined to marry Anne for his own purposes despite his protestations of deep love for her. After all, Richard’s nature truly precludes his ability to love anyone. While he claimed in the previous act that he wanted to marry Anne because he believed that he would get something out of the alliance, he also appears to be acting in pure wanton delight in his cruelty and ability to degrade another human being.

In terms of techniques, a potential technique used in this quote is anaphora, as seen with the repetition of "Was ever woman in this humour". An anaphora can present multiple effects, such as:
  • Evoking emotion
  • Reinforcing or emphasising a particular concept/idea
  • Establish urgency
What act and scene was this said in I'm asking cuz for like context
This quote is from Act I, Scene ii. :)

I hope this helps! :D

may22

HSC
I agree with what @jimmysmith560 said but here’s another take on it if you’re interested:

The quote also represents his triumph, in a way. Here is a hunchback, crippled villain who’s physiognomy mirrors his immorality...and yet he won over Lady Anne. The quote makes it seem like he’s playing a game, and he’s won

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)