• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Radians and Transformations (1 Viewer)

od9895

HSC
HI
Could anyone please explain to me what is a radian and this rule is a cosx + b sinx = r cos(x+a)
Could you guys please show me how to use these rules and where to use those rules. Please provide a lot of examples of using both rules please.

Thanks

nightweaver066

HSC
I would recommend you thoroughly read the trigonometry section of a textbook.

Fitzpatrick or Cambridge would be good.

Some textbooks will derive them, but they all provide sufficient examples as to when to use the rules.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
A radian is the ratio between a circle's arc and it's radius. More generally, it is an alternative to measuring angles in a ratio/numerical value rather than in degrees.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
HI
Could anyone please explain to me what is a radian and this rule is a cosx + b sinx = r cos(x+a)
Could you guys please show me how to use these rules and where to use those rules. Please provide a lot of examples of using both rules please.

Thanks
360 degrees = 2pi radians, that's basically all you need to know.

That rule's called the auxillary angle method. See http://trevorpythag.co.uk/2009/math...le-method-for-solving-trigonometry-equations/ for a pretty good explanation & example.

There's another method for solving that type of equation that I believe is called the t-formula method. I can't find a good explanation online and I really can't be bothered typing one out, but there should be one in your textbook.

EDIT: You should be able to use both methods as questions may ask something along the lines of "solve this equation using the auxillary angle method"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)