• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Radio Drama (1 Viewer)

yanananananana

= Token Asian =
HSC
yoooo to all the peepz doing radio dramas...

man... doesn't seem to be many... but datz oKiz... coz then we can be a close nit group... blah blah...

anywayz... wot you guys doing for it???

and do you guys know any good examples to listen to? i don really know what i should be concentrating on at the moment so you got any ideas...?

are there any tips from past radio drama major work students???

arrr.... why aren't there lotsa people doing it? :mad1:

but radio drama friends... we're gonna kick some short story and critical responses ass man!!! :chainsaw: yeah go us!! :D :D

Speling Qween

*waves* Hello my fellow Radio Dramatists! There's four of us now, right? Right... just checking out the competition. :D

Anyway... It's kinda hard finding examples of radio dramas to listen to because most of them are about a billion years old and about as interesting as a damp sponge. That's why most people don't do it - because its hard to do well. (Side note: am I the dumbest person in the universe for picking this?)

I suppose you can always haunt libraries for old tapes of radio shows, and I'm pretty sure some are available for download somewhere [This is a good website].

As for my idea; well, its pretty vague at the moment (haven't started writing yet), but I do know that it's not going to follow the traditional radio drama format and that it's a character-based comedy.

What about yours? *prods radio drama people*

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Originally posted by Speling Qween

Anyway... It's kinda hard finding examples of radio dramas to listen to because most of them are about a billion years old and about as interesting as a damp sponge. That's why most people don't do it - because its hard to do well. (Side note: am I the dumbest person in the universe for picking this?)
listen to the BBC's version of the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams. Fantastic radio show!

hehe, i wonder how many ppl's radio dramas had that site by tony palermo in their bibliography/reflection statements. i loved it, and relied on it heaps!!!

I did radio drama script last year, and found some modern radio dramas (and cheap to listen to!!) on 'Airplay' on ABC Radio National - one a week!! They were excellent sources, if you're willing to sit down and make the time to turn on ur radio at 3pm on a sun (and if u don't have an assessment on the mon....)

if you're willing to make the $30 investment, u can go thru screensound australia or the abc shop to find their radio drama cds (i've got one called "radio after dark: drama serials for adults"). they're old ones, but they're still good for getting the idea of building up atmosphere, interesting sound effects you can use and stuff. same price as any cd.

otherwise, annoy your ext 2 teachers to ask around the staffroom to see if any other english teachers have a) old radio teaching material (it used to be part of the cirriculum or something, so one of our teachers had a great set of tapes and exercises) or b) an old record of radio drama hits. we scrounged up a record that had classic quiz shows and wonderful old mysteries.

i guess to do well, u've gotta immerse urself in the medium (it's all about the medium, haha). cos unlike short stories/critical responses, its not like we really hear radio dramas every day, u've gotta get urself used to listening, how they use sound conventions and stuff. yeah it is hard, but its worth it!!

haha. and if u get stuck in all the technicalities of actually producing it (getting recording time etc), just use the radio drama script option (same area of the syllabus as drama/tv scripts). saves a lot of time, and u can put that extra effort into conventions.

although, if the technical recording stuff is what ur into and why ur doing it in the first place...go for it!

volvo_driver

i'm a bit late

You guys probably haven't checked this forum in months. But i'm doing a radio drama. Get hold of "The 12th man" albums. He's a comedian and writes radio drama satirising sport (especially cricket). He's mad funny and his career stretches from the 80's and is still producing them. Even if u don't like sport you guys should get a hold of them...they're avialable at sanity etc. Good luck finishing your major works.

Does anyone know how to write a radio drama script properly? I've been to heaps of sites and they all say different things so im confused. Anyone want to talk to me about it? usedink2@hotmail.com

J

jhakka

2Day FM used to have a radio soap going called Stubby Bay. Each episode was only a couple of minutes, but it was funny.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)