• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Random Questions (1 Viewer)

Project

Permanently Confuddled
HSC
:confused:
1. How should I paragrah and indent quotes and speech/dialogue?
2. Generally how long should a 'chapter' be?
3. Does the story have to have a defined 'plot'? Can we simply building a character through the story without them actually going on any sort of 'journey'?
4. That's It! :D

Thanks in advance.

J

jhakka

Project said:
When I did my story I used standard paragraphing. Skip a line between paragraphs, no indent. Same deal with dialogue. If a new person is talking, use a new paragraph. Don't just skip a line.

Project said:
However long you want it to be. Some of my chapters were 8 pages, while others were 8 lines.

Project said:
3. Does the story have to have a defined 'plot'? Can we simply building a character through the story without them actually going on any sort of 'journey'?
Plots are always good. They give your piece a purpose and a goal (which is the resolution or the high point of it). I tried to balance plot and character development in mine.

Project said:
4. That's It!
Far from it. Then you have to edit. :)

HSC
N/A

You never want paragraphs too long to stomach... but in the grand scheme of things there really are no rules. It also depends on how open you are to using literary techniques I guess --> insert postmodernism here. Some people have quotes on separate pages opening into a new chapter, others sort of have them on a separate line - play around until you find something you like. As for speech/dialogue, at the very least start a new line. :)

Again, it's really up to you. Some of my "sections" have only been two paragraphs...

I would advise some sort of coherency, unless you're planning on a series of short stories. Even then, some sort of connection is highly advised... you DO have to write a reflection statement, you know. :)

4. That's It!

Don't underestimate editing... that can take three times longer than the entire writing process, easily!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)