ranking (1 Viewer)

yozz

HSC
so lets say im 4th with an internal mark of 93.

so if in the hsc i get 80 and the 4th highest mark was 98, would my overall mark be

93+ ( 80+ 98 mean of these) OR just 93 + 98

PPL KEEP TELLING ME DIFF STUFF WHAT IS RIGHT

THANK YOU

carrotsss

HSC
Your moderated school assessment mark has no direct relation to your raw in-school mark, it’s based on your ranking and the percentage difference between ranks - as an approximation, if you’re fourth you’ll get around the fourth highest mark for your moderated school assessment mark, although technically this isn’t exactly accurate, like if there’s a big gap between u and third then you’ll get a further away mark and if there’s a smaller gap you’ll get a closer mark etc.

Your moderated school assessment mark (not the 93) is then averaged with your exam mark to produce your overal HSC mark.

yozz

HSC
Your moderated school assessment mark has no direct relation to your raw in-school mark, it’s based on your ranking and the percentage difference between ranks - as an approximation, if you’re fourth you’ll get around the fourth highest mark for your moderated school assessment mark, although technically this isn’t exactly accurate, like if there’s a big gap between u and third then you’ll get a further away mark and if there’s a smaller gap you’ll get a closer mark etc.

Your moderated school assessment mark (not the 93) is then averaged with your exam mark to produce your overal HSC mark.
istg i learn new stuff ab this everyday. thank you, and so what would be the moderated school assessment mark if its not the 93

carrotsss

HSC
istg i learn new stuff ab this everyday. thank you, and so what would be the moderated school assessment mark if its not the 93
if for instance the highest mark in the exam is 98 and you were pretty closely ranked behind first internally, then you might get a moderated school assessment mark around 95. it depends a lot on your specific situation and how your cohort performs though.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
if i’m ranked 1st in basically all of my subjects in a well-ranked school, would my predicted atar be .95?
If you are ranked first in all your subjects at a high-ranking school, this translates into a high chance of achieving a 99.95 ATAR. It is, however, not guaranteed since it would heavily depend on your performance in your HSC exams.

An HSC mark in a subject is equal to the average of an Assessment Mark and an Examination Mark. The Assessment Mark is the mark that reflects your internal performance in a particular subject, and the Examination Mark is the mark that reflects your performance in the HSC exam of a particular subject. The Assessment Mark is determined using two main elements:
  • Your internal rank relative to your cohort in a particular subject
  • The Examination Marks achieved in your cohort in the subject
If you are ranked first in a subject, your Assessment Mark will be made equal to the highest Examination Mark achieved by anyone in your cohort. This is where the notion of a 99.95 not being guaranteed becomes relevant. If you are ranked first in a subject, and also achieve the highest Examination Mark in your cohort for that subject, your Examination Mark will essentially become your overall HSC mark because you would also receive your own Examination Mark as your Assessment Mark. In such a case, it becomes very important to perform favourably, because the more favourable your performance, the better your chances of achieving a 99.95 ATAR.

On the other hand, if you do not achieve the highest Examination Mark in your cohort in a particular subject, your Assessment Mark will instead be made equal to the highest Examination Mark, which in this case would have been achieved by another student in your cohort. Depending on the academic capability of your cohort, as well as your own HSC exam performance, this could still give you a good chance of achieving a 99.95 ATAR, but may also lower your chances. This is the reason that ranking first internally and achieving the highest Examination Marks would best help maximise your ATAR.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)