• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Really need your advice (2 Viewers)

feedmemore

HSC
Ok, so I received marks back for 3 subjects ie: SDD, Business studies and Physics. My marks and ranks for SDD and business is very good in my opinion however I received my mark back for physics and I am destroyed emotionally and mentally. I did not even pass the exam and those who passed just received around 25 to 30 (max) out of 50. I am really sad because I spend most of my time studying for physics which at the end I did very crap. Do you think there is still hope for me in getting in the 90s for the atar or am I really just out of my league? Do you guys think it is too late to pick up another subject and drop physics because I am scared if I dropped physics without picking up another subject I will be on only 10 units

Any advice and suggestions?

DamTameNaken

HSC
It sounds like it was a difficult test which means that you not passing doesn't really matter.

Your moderated assessment mark is only based on rank and the gaps between each rank, even if you did fail as long as you can stay near the top it won't matter. Also this is just one assessment and you can make up quite a lot of ranks in trials.

HSC
As tamenaken said it could just be a hard test, but don't worry so much about your mark as you do your position relative to your peers, I'm coming second in my year for mathematics (2U) and the only assessment that we had I got 42% and that is exactly what my teacher told me. It works the exact same in the HSC, the bands are determined based upon the performance of the cohort not the marks themselves, they are just the parameters by which the bands are determined, or at least that's my understanding. All I can say for sure is that if you want to stay in the subject and do well is to do as best you can and stay as close as possible to the top of the year and that will put you in good stead for the atar of 90 or whatever you want. Hope I was of some use :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)