• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Recommendation (1 Viewer)

giggsy013

HSC
I was hoping to get into Macquarie for Commerce but ended up being offered a place in Arts. What is the best way forward from here in terms of getting into Commerce? Accept this offer and try and transfer later, or hope to get a place in the second round of offers?

If I stay with Arts and transfer, what would the requirements be for changing? And what is the earliest I could change?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Definitely accept your first offer. Also, yes try for a later-round offer (accepting this offer will NOT prevent you from receiving subsequent offers).

Now i suggest you do exactly what you stated - enter into Arts then transfer into Commerce.

The requirments are here:

http://www.reg.mq.edu.au/undergrad/current/currentstudents/Table 2.pdf

And since the Arts degree is flexible, you may even be able to enrol in some units that will help you graduate with a Commerce degree.

[I assume you want to transfer into Commerce, not the prof. accounting degree stream]

The requirement is: at least 12 credit points with an overall GPA of 2.0 [GPA of 2.0 = pass =)]

So, yes it will not be hard for you to transfer, as long as you pass all your courses in semester 1 (which you should do 4 subjects in - 4 subjects, 3 Credit Points each = 12 credit points). You can then transfer after 1 semester.

I suggest if you want to do this to try and pick some subjects in semester 1 that would be useful for the B Commerce, if you meet the pre-reqs for it.

You can find the degree rules for B Commerce here: Bachelor of Commerce - 2010 Course Handbook - Macquarie University [and you choose one or 2 majors listed]

As examples of units you might want to enrol in in semester 1:

ACST101 [no prerequisities]
BBA102 [no prerequisities]
ECON111 [no prerequisities]
MKTG101 [no prerequisities]

So yes, Macquarie is excellent in this sense - it is very easy to transfer [and by transfer, i mean internally - you just submit a form into Student Enquiry Services, no application to UAC needed].

Hope that helps.

giggsy013

HSC
Extremely helpful. Thankyou very much. Appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)