Related Materials Frontline (1 Viewer)

sbllking

HSC
Was wondering what a good related material would be. I was thinking "Yes, Minister" as one, but i'm not sure as that was written in 1980. How old can it be? does it have to be REALLY recent? (ie last 10 years at least?)

I know that it is truth in general so one related text would do with media, but i was wondering about "yes, minister" for my second as that is about politicians.

Anyways, what do you think? Any other ideas for related texts? what specifically do they want from a related text?

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
You wouldn't know what you're talking about! You've already been pregnant 4 times this year!!! and i don't want to be mean.. but you have gained alot of weight. I mean dam... plus all added facial hair.. i'm surprised titties don't hit the keyboard when your typing

stop giving these poor kids false info!!

N

Nicola1616

I think you are on the right track 'Yes Minister' sounds great - only problem is that its the same text type as 'Frontline'.
Generally a related text should add to your discussion of the topic in some way - so it explores 'truth' and its constuction in other meaningful ways and ideally in a different form.
I always thought that 'Vanilla Sky' was a great film for truth. Its all about what is real and what is not and whether it matters. (Tom Cruise-eww- and Penelope Cruz).
Also 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' is good with the Ministry of Truth and everything. P. 173 Winston says "There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad". If you wanted to use it you'd have to research it a bit so you don't have to read the whole thing now - but remember, in the context of an essay - three great techniques explained well would be plenty. So one good technique is the 'book' which Winston reads and it preceeds that quote directly.
Stephen Colbert's book 'I am America and so can you' is also great. But it presents its ideas with humour as well so I don't know if that's too much of the same. Anyway -p.153 - the whole chapter is called 'Media' and its great he says things like: "....trying to present both sides of each story, they're suggesting that the truth exists somewhere in the middle. You know whats really in the middle? The Gray Area. Shades of gray are for brain tissue and the weak. Neither has a place in News Business. I like my Truth like my coffe: Black or White-
hope that helps some

sbllking

HSC
Thanks! Thats really helpful. Yea, im not sure about 'yes, minister' coz of the same text type thing...but what you've said is so good! What do you think of doing a council pamphlet?

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
Watch Media Watch on ABC. someof it can be used for related material

N

Nicola1616

sbllking said:
Thanks! Thats really helpful. Yea, im not sure about 'yes, minister' coz of the same text type thing...but what you've said is so good! What do you think of doing a council pamphlet?
I think that sounds like a fantastic idea

ShBoom2464

HSC
thsts a good one...
other ones you could do are 1984, v for vendetta, the crucible (play or film), animal farm and picture books are really good too like rose blanche.

syriangabsta

HSC
N/A
Epistemophobia said:
You wouldn't know what you're talking about! You've already been pregnant 4 times this year!!! and i don't want to be mean.. but you have gained alot of weight. I mean dam... plus all added facial hair.. i'm surprised titties don't hit the keyboard when your typing

stop giving these poor kids false info!!
o_o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)