Related text for P & P (1 Viewer)

HSC
For the related text, do we choose a text similar to Langtons version of Pride and Prejudice, or to the original text. For example, does it have to be a 19th century text, or can it be a modern day one. Im confused as ive been told conflicting stories. Please explain.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Well in terms of the individual and society focus, the prescribed text is Pride and Prejudice by Simon Langton (BBC) so definitely not the original Austen version but the film.

When you are choosing related texts, they may be composed outside of the 19th century however you continue to discuss 19th century ways of thinking (paradigms). To use common egs two popular supplementary materials include Mary Wollstonecraft's The Vindication of the Rights of Women (1792) and Oscar and Lucinda (film, i think from 2003).

Their setting and values and attitudes are synonymous with the 1800s and you focus on this. Just provide textual evidence of why the text is still worthy of study as a 19th century text despite its composition date saying otherwise :)

HSC
Thanks,
As an example of related text do you think it would be ok to choose a russian author such as Tolstoy or Chekhov, rather than an english writer?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Yes you can choose *composers from countries outside of england. Throughout the year i used anna karenina by leo tolstoy and the awakening by kate chopin. For these texts the composers were from russia and america respectively and both relate very well with Ibsen's A Doll's House (if you were wondering).

Mel_b

HSC
For safety's sake, pick texts that are about, or were composed, in the 19th century - your well contstructed rationale won't be immediately apparent to a marker, especially if it doesn't really come into your essay. Don't make things harder than they already are.

Texts from other countries are fine, and, in fact an excellent idea - my class was encouraged to look at places other than England - For supplementaries, I used 'J'Accuse' - an open letter by Emile Zola, published in a major French newspaper in the very early 19th century, and Geraldine Brooks' 'March' - which tells the story of the father from Little Women's experience in the American Civil War.

By moving outside of England, you get a broader perspective of the driving forces of the 19th Century - a lot of the uncertainty in England arose from instability in France, America and Russia. Additionally, looking at literature from British colonies (including Australia) offers an excellent opportunity to contrast various individual experiences.

Try to find a text that takes a male perspective, as well. Individual and Society isn't all about repressed women. Lots of people got a pretty raw deal in those 100 years, and looking at industrialisation, religious tension and racial tension makes the unit much more interesting.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
The solitude of self- a speech is good...mary stanton i think
also little women any of the versions; ties in wel to p+p, n+s, adh

chocomania

HSC
Are mary Woolstonecraft's Vindication of the Rights of women and Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility good related texts? are we allowed to use any other of Jane Austen's novel by the way? does anyone have any other suggestions for related?

SiN3m

HSC
i've already chosen to do the movi version of Little Women with ?Kirsten dunst in it. do you know any poems that could use??? i've going through poems but i keep comming accross those more for the imaginative journeys course

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
chocomania said:
Are mary Woolstonecraft's Vindication of the Rights of women and Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility good related texts? are we allowed to use any other of Jane Austen's novel by the way? does anyone have any other suggestions for related?
Yes philisophical works are great to use, in supporting your arguments, etc.

Yeh you can use other Austen novels, but i wouldn't use it with Langton's as her novels are usually centred on simillar paradigms.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
SiN3m said:
i've already chosen to do the movi version of Little Women with ?Kirsten dunst in it. do you know any poems that could use??? i've going through poems but i keep comming accross those more for the imaginative journeys course
Robert Browning's wife's poems are good, esp Aurora Leigh but it's an epic novel poem.

Tennyson's poems, The Lady of Shallot is over done though.

Poems are difficult touse in highlighting the whole I&S module and related themes, genres and paradigms.

Consider doing a short story or using philosophical works.

SiN3m

HSC
Wooz said:
Robert Browning's wife's poems are good, esp Aurora Leigh but it's an epic novel poem.

Tennyson's poems, The Lady of Shallot is over done though.

Poems are difficult touse in highlighting the whole I&S module and related themes, genres and paradigms.

Consider doing a short story or using philosophical works.
i don't know any short stories. truth be told, i don;t really do well with 19th century novels, i'm better with poetry which is why i was after that, but if you have any direction direct me towards, i'd b VERY thankful :D

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
SiN3m said:
i don't know any short stories. truth be told, i don;t really do well with 19th century novels, i'm better with poetry which is why i was after that, but if you have any direction direct me towards, i'd b VERY thankful :D
I'd say stick with what your good at, esp if your teachers given you good marks for it. You need to do the best to keep your internal marks up first, worry about the actual hsc exam later.

I did use two poems at one stage "Goblin Market" by Christina Rossetti and 'Idylls of the King' by Alfred Lord Tennyson, i wouldnt reccommed the later though, it's extremely difficult touse.
http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/crossetti/marketov.html

Last edited:

SiN3m

HSC
Wooz said:
I'd say stick with what your good at, esp if your teachers given you good marks for it. You need to do the best to keep your internal marks up first, worry about the actual hsc exam later.

I did use two poems at one stage "Goblin Market" by Christina Rossetti and 'Idylls of the King' by Alfred Lord Tennyson, i wouldnt reccommed the later though, it's extremely difficult touse.
http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/crossetti/marketov.html
thankyou so much :D

stevemorgan

HSC
Mel_b said:
Texts from other countries are fine, and, in fact an excellent idea - my class was encouraged to look at places other than England - For supplementaries, I used 'J'Accuse' - an open letter by Emile Zola, published in a major French newspaper in the very early 19th century
just wondering how u studied this text... its in french right?

Azreil

HSC
There are translations easily available online. I love this text xD I'm also using Anna Karenina, by Tolstoy ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)