related text material for the crucible (1 Viewer)

angelargh

HSC
I'm trying to find a good related text for the crucible
do you think Brave New World is a good one ?
Or disgrace (by Coetze) ???????????????????????????????????? :spin:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Brave New World is highly not recommended. This is because it is a core text for the Science Fiction module on the English Extension 1 course. A list of good related text suggestions can be found here.

akrinis

HSC
I chose District 9 and Astroboy as my related. District 9 for its discrimination of the aiens, and fear of the unknown. Similarly, Astroboy also shows audiences the struggle society has in accepting the changing technology, and shows robots in a scape-goat-esque view.

wendybird

HSC
I reckon you're lucky to get The Crucible - its a fantastic text with alot of depth and you can draw upon many things to make your analysis even more sophisticated and to impress the markers.

For example - you should look at, or even throw in things relating to Arthur Miller's message concerning McCarthyism and the Communist hysteria at the time. You can also look at Arthur Miller's Theatre Essays and what he says about the tragedy of the common man (linking that to Belonging - particularly with Hale or Proctor).

Therefore for related texts it might be interesting to look at other works that also explore cold war tensions - possibly from a communist perspective.

You may also choose related tests dealing with the Puritan era and all the restrictions of the time. Some possible authors are Nathaniel Hawthorne (The Scarlet Letter) whose exporation of puritan culture and Hester Prynne's liberation in rebellion (ie. breaking away from belonging and conformity) has very interesting parallels with The Crucible.

You may choose to look at the human vs. nature, frontier aspect of The Crucible, and a good text for that is the american transcendentialist writer Thoreau with Walden (about man's retreat away from community to join with nature) - interesting contrast with the Puritan view of indians and Massachusets in The Crucible.

In choosing a related text, I suggest you find AREAS of analysis in your core text that you wish to explore, and then find related texts who overlap in those areas - that way you have a clear link, and your analysis tends to become clearer and it enables you to have a better thought out thesis.

Related texts that work well are texts which you can use to directly compare or contrast. They are very much looked upon favourably if you can find conceptual, historical or social links as well (though not necessary). Main thing about using related texts effectively is that you demonstrate a RELATIONSHIP - ie. how your related text extends upon, enriches or sheds new light upon your core text.

FYI I also did The Crucible, and my related texts were The Scarlet Letter and The Lieutenant (Didn't end up using it - due to the question stipulating ONE related text in 2009), and as well I quoted from Miller's Theatre Essays (and his theory of tragedy) to support my analyses.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Having two related texts that are novels is cool then right?
It's not 'not allowed', however, you'd want to have more than just a novel as you want to show the examiners that you can analyse a variety of different text types.

That's just what I believe. Clearly, wendybird did two novels, and she got an outstanding English mark and ATAR - so to answer your question, yes, it's fine to do two novels. :p

wendybird

HSC
Wait no Aerath!

You forget, The Crucible is a play - that's a different text type to novel.

I also had a film prepared - The Lives of Others by Donnersmark.

So no, I didn't just have 2 novels :)

I had 3 relateds prepared, but I only wrote about one. My teacher reccommends at least 3, but then she's paranoid :p

philphie

Banned
HSC
Good Night and Good Luck (film). how McCarthy was taken down by journos

showy

HSC
For example - you should look at, or even throw in things relating to Arthur Miller's message concerning McCarthyism and the Communist hysteria at the time. You can also look at Arthur Miller's Theatre Essays and what he says about the tragedy of the common man (linking that to Belonging - particularly with Hale or Proctor).
I also had a film prepared - The Lives of Others by Donnersmark.
Hi,
I've also chosen to The Lives of Others by Donnersmarck, and I'm a stuck in thinking of ways that belonging in the film can be contrasted with belonging in The Crucible.
I can think of plenty of similarities, but not many differences.
Can you help with this?
thanks.

oreocat

HSC
Dear Showy,

I'm also doing The Crucible for Belonging. I would not call myself an expert, however, the most obvious answer is to draw conceptual parallels about belonging in the two texts, and then contrast the different ways they're explored in each. E.g. techniques, media....

I was thinking of doing The Lives of Others as a Related Text for After the Bomb in Extension 1, too, so I know where you are coming from. A nice choice for Belonging too, actually! Now I think about it there are actually a fair few conceptual differences, e.g. one discusses belonging in a religious "regime"; another in a political at another time and context.

Just some thoughts; sorry that is all I can come up with at the moment. Good luck!

oreocat

HSC
I've heard different things from different people on the question of whether it is OK to have two of the same text. I think it LOOKS good to have different types of text, but if, for example, novels are your thing and your poetry analysis is weak, then maybe two novels would be the way to go? Of course that is just a hypothetical example!

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
insidebreak.org has become a bit bland since it's the 6th year of the current AOS 'Belonging'. Check out www.hscdiscovery.com.au which has some awesome lists of related texts - even matched to the Prescribed Texts!!

amberjbaker

HSC
Hi wendybird, I was wondering if you could email me and share some knowledge you have on the comparison of the crucible and the scarlet letter? I'm currently writing an essay on the two texts and I'm struggling slightly My email is amberjbaker99@gmail.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)