Relevance/purpose/understanding of raw mark band cut offs (1 Viewer)

Toadin

HSC
Hi guys, as you have seen lately, after each exam there has often been a thread "raw mark band cut off", however I do not quite understand the relevance of it and what effect it may have on your final mark.

As an example, say a student has an internal mark of 98 and an external aligned exam mark of 82, to my way of thinking this averages out as 90 overall. Hypothetically, however, let's say the band 6 exam cut off is 85... Thus they miss the cut off by 3...What effect would this have on an individual's overall mark/band even though they scored 90?

Could someone explain this to me please???

megaman64

HSC
raw mark is different to external aligned exam mark. raw mark is the mark a student got in the exam without any changes. the aligned mark is the mark in which the raw mark got changed to. e.g. a raw mark of 82/100 in mathematics may align to an external aligned exam mark of 91 which is a band 6. the band 6 cut off is always 90 + of the ALIGNED mark not the raw mark.

RishBonjour

HSC
I think "band 6 cut offs" apply to raw marks e.g. what people SPECULATE it to be. But they generally follow a trend. But a 90 is a band 6 in any 2 unit subject. For that 90, you may need 70-75 RAW mark in the HSC exam (the actual mark you get when you sit the test) for that SPECIFIC subject. It varies immensely between subjects though.

Toadin

HSC
I think "band 6 cut offs" apply to raw marks e.g. what people SPECULATE it to be. But they generally follow a trend. But a 90 is a band 6 in any 2 unit subject. For that 90, you may need 70-75 RAW mark in the HSC exam (the actual mark you get when you sit the test) for that SPECIFIC subject. It varies immensely between subjects though.
But what if you didn't reach that cut off and instead got say 65 which aligned to 85 and had an internal mark of 98, it averages to 92... Even though they didn't reach the cut off, would you still get a b6?

michaeljennings

HSC
But what if you didn't reach that cut off and instead got say 65 which aligned to 85 and had an internal mark of 98, it averages to 92... Even though they didn't reach the cut off, would you still get a b6?
when peopel talk about the 'cut-off' they are referring to externals not the overall mark.

Toadin

HSC
when peopel talk about the 'cut-off' they are referring to externals not the overall mark.
Ok, scenario time... Say a student has an internal mark of 98. In their externals, they receive a raw mark of 65. The raw mark band 6 cut off is 75. The student's aligned mark is 82, thus becoming an overall mark of 90. Even though this student did not achieve the raw mark band 6 cut off, yet their overall mark is 90, does the student still receive a band 6???

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys, as you have seen lately, after each exam there has often been a thread "raw mark band cut off", however I do not quite understand the relevance of it and what effect it may have on your final mark.

As an example, say a student has an internal mark of 98 and an external aligned exam mark of 82, to my way of thinking this averages out as 90 overall. Hypothetically, however, let's say the band 6 exam cut off is 85... Thus they miss the cut off by 3...What effect would this have on an individual's overall mark/band even though they scored 90?

Could someone explain this to me please???
Ok, the story is that if the person who got 98 internally gets 82 externally, what happens is that the person's 98 gets moderated to meet/be similar to the external mark. So the 98 may drop down to 85 or closer to 82. These two marks... the internal which is moderated and the external (82) are averaged to give a final mark which then is scaled to determine the band. So lets say:

82 + 85 (which is the moderated 98-internal)/2= 83.5. If the band 6 cutoff for that year was less than 83.5, then this person gets lucky. If not, then its another story.
Rank is also a big factor when it comes to marks.. If you are ranked 1st and somehow blackout in the HSC and get 82 for example. You would still get the highest external raw mark that will average with your external, before averaging with your internal. e.g lets say your friend who is 2nd gets 88 as an external and it was the highest. What happens is you get an external of (82+88)/2= 85 as an external. This would once again alter your internal of 98 and it will be moderated close to 85, i.e 87. Your final score would equal to (87+85)/2=86. Which looks well above the cutoff for most subjects.

When we 'talk' about the 'raw' we are talking just about the external mark needed to align to a band 6, without any moderation of the internal. Just because you under performed in the HSC does not mean your chances of band 6 as a final are over. There is a thing called moderation, and that is why your rank and your internal mark needs to be high.Your cohort also needs to do better in the external, than in the internal. What happens is if the total mark of the cohort i.e (455- internally for 5 students) is below the external (i.e 400 for the same 5 students), then all the students get moderated down.

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
Ok, scenario time... Say a student has an internal mark of 98. In their externals, they receive a raw mark of 65. The raw mark band 6 cut off is 75. The student's aligned mark is 82, thus becoming an overall mark of 90. Even though this student did not achieve the raw mark band 6 cut off, yet their overall mark is 90, does the student still receive a band 6???
yes, thats a band 6! :)

but keep in mind, if your internal is 98- which your school sends and the highest mark from your cohort is like 92, your internal will NOT be 98.

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
Ummm so band6 is not only the mark from HSC exam, but it is the final HSC mark(assessment + hsc exam)
Is my understanding correct ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)