Removal of wastes question (1 Viewer)

shortnsweet

HSC
Ok in my biology textbook, it says that wastes should be removed otherwise it can poison cells, and also their build-up slows down metabolic reactions.

Now, through doing a past question, it sometimes gives a multiple choice and asks why it should be removed and options are something like:

a) they will poison the cells
b) their buildup inhibits metabolic reactions
c) another answer
d) another answer

so as far as I have learnt, it's both a and b. So in this situation, what would be the "right" or most appropriate answer?

thanks

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ok in my biology textbook, it says that wastes should be removed otherwise it can poison cells, and also their build-up slows down metabolic reactions.

Now, through doing a past question, it sometimes gives a multiple choice and asks why it should be removed and options are something like:

a) they will poison the cells
b) their buildup inhibits metabolic reactions
c) another answer
d) another answer

so as far as I have learnt, it's both a and b. So in this situation, what would be the "right" or most appropriate answer?

thanks
I would pick (b).

The reason is because the reason for the poisoning IS the inhibiting of metabolic reactions.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
yep B, because the build of wate products cann alter the way how body process work for example Carbon Dioxide(CO2), CO2 is created because it is the waste product of respiration glucose+oxygen -> CO2+water+ATP (energy). The build up of CO2 is very dangerous mainly because it can alter the pH levels in the body hence it interrupts the body process. The body can only work in an constant environment (homeostasis) and the alteration of pH disturbs its level .Cause of changes of pH is because of the build up of CO2 and enzyme activity is all based on temperature, pH,substrate concentration which are all the factors of enzyme activity.

So basically, the build up of metabolic waste can alter the body process and disrupt homeostasis hence inhibits metabolic reactions

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
B) Because the build up of metabolic wastes can cause denaturing of enzymes, and impact on the ability of a body to perform metabolic functions..

The textbook sounds slightly dodgy though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)