rennin & pH (1 Viewer)

mimivriens

HSC
Hi guys,
I'm having a bit of trouble with my assignment.
One part of it has 'first hand investigation' thingo on change in pH of rennin.

I have got most of it but because I was not in class for this whole topic im a little lost;

-How much HCl do I use for the desired pH?
-What will happen for the optimum pH and at what time?
- Just some info on the experiment would be great :)

Cheers

x_ekooC

HSC
Hey,

Well it's basically the same as temperature... I used a few drops of vinegar to make it more acidic... I don't have access to any chemicals and quarter of bicarbonate soda to make it more alkali...

Basically the pH will work fastest at the optimum temperature. Enzymes are denatured both above and below the optimum pH. So what do you think will happen??

If you need any more help send me a private message I'd be happy to help you out :)

lynton

HSC
I did this same experiment and i got 25/25 for it. I got first in my class, except i did mine on temperature not pH. I do believe u put differing amounts of HCL in the milk and then you add the renin and tests which pH coagulates it the best. But it must be maintained at a constant temp of 37 degrees because that is its optimum temperature and i think its optimum ph is around 2. Anything outside of this range the renin will denaturise and thus not work as efficiently. Well work out the pH first. pH= -log (hydrogen concentration). To work out the concentration use this formula c=n/v where n= number of moles of the acid and v= the volume of the milk i do believe. So change the Ph levels in which you are going to put the milk in to test ur results.

Plz tell me otherwise if im wrong because i didint do pH, i did temp which is easier. Ask your teacher, im sure she knows more about it then us.

Last edited:

spammy679

MLIA
HSC
i did the same experiment but i used HCl and NaOH to get basic and acidic solutions

we had 3 test tubes (2 for repetition, 1 for control) for each pH value (which were 0.7, 2, 4 ,7 and 10)

we added catalase in the form of potato puree and we added 10 ml of HCl or NaOH (or distilled water for pH 7)]

after 10 minutes we observed the height of the foam produced

for the optimum pH (which was around 10), the foam was the largest

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)