Retreat From The Global - Can Someone Actually Help??? (1 Viewer)

ashwin

Creator
HSC
Firstly, Lazarus' notes about Tollund Man aren't very good according to Ms Roberts. She claims he's looking too much into it. We need help in studying Retreat from the Global in the Seamus Heaney poems Funeral Rites, Tollund Man and Punishment (hmm, sound familiar?)

If there is anyone out there who has notes related to RFTG and Heaney's poems who actually got a HIGH mark in the test, could u PLEASE reply with some notes or maybe some of ur essays?

If i dont get these notes im gonna KILL MYSELF DAMMIT, KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:chainsaw: :argue: :confused:

Death will come on swift wings'

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Yeah, this guy is from my school. As you can see, we're tremendously confused.

tieki

There's some good analysis of Heaney at http://www.puzzling.org/writing/hsc/heaney.html but one of the best definitions I've seen was in one of the other threads. To quote foxy:

"Heaney's use of historical/archaic parallelism, is to show that the past is important for directing the present/future. Think of it this way, we still have wars/conflict and 'ethnic cleansing' (as in 'punishment') still exists...why? because we dont learn from the past.

also he is "preserving" the past...which is important to the whole 'retreat from the global' aspect ...as in modern times, everything is about standardisation...think of Disneyland being built in China (hongkong)...what is that going to do to traditional chinese tourism there? people are obviously going to lose their sense of identity, because of disneyland (globalisation in a sense).

because of this, some people therefore 'retreat' from the 'global' .... people retreat back into their traditions because they dont want to be standardised/globalised..

In heaney's case, he preserves the past/history through literacy (his poems) in which history can't be lost, if it has been noted down; tollund man = metaphor for preservation etc. "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)