Revision (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Been doing revision for my half yearlys ... came across a few little concepts that I dont fully get, wondering if anyone could give me a bit of an explantion/summary:

- the multiplier
- NAIRU
- Whats the diff. between "Macro" and Micro"
- Structural u/e

Ac :( :mad1:

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Lord Ac
Been doing revision for my half yearlys ... came across a few little concepts that I dont fully get, wondering if anyone could give me a bit of an explantion/summary:

- the multiplier
- NAIRU
- Structural u/e

multiplier: this refers the change in spending in comparison to the total change in economic activity which will result. it only works in economies that are demand oriented.

NAIRU (non-accelerating inflation rate of unemployment): the unemployment rate at which inflation remains constant

macro affects the economy as a whole. micro only affects specified parts of the economy

structural unemployment is unemployment that is the result of a lack of capital resources which unemployed workers could use.

hope this helps...it is straight from my notes so sorry if it duznt make sense

timmii

sporadic attendee
Originally posted by Lord Ac

- the multiplier
- NAIRU
- Structural u/e

What AGB said... :)

Also: the NAIRU may be called "the natural rate of unemployment". It is ultimately the lowest level of unemployment an economy can reach without leading to inflation (long run philips curve). It exists because of structural and frictional unemployment as well as market rigidities (i.e inefficient communication between job seekers and employers, payroll tax, inequitable access to education/training etc...). In the 60s it was about 3%, but it is currently estimated to be about 5.5-6%. You could probably mention the effects of globalisation on the level of structural unemployment here as well....

Microeconomics looks at interactions in the economy on the level of individuals. i.e how consumers/businesses etc choose to manage their resources. Macroeconomics looks rather at the economy in the wider social/political context....i.e the decisions of governments. (small scale vs large scale)

Structural unemployment - that which results when there is a "mismatch" between the supply of labour and market demand for skills. For instance, the shift towards services in the Australian economy has seen widespread structural unemployment in manufacturing/primary industries. The skills of steel mill workers and textile manufacturers may no longer be demanded in such high quantities by a business/hospitality/it orientated job market. A change in the fundamental *structure* and composition of the workforce leads to unemployment amongst those workers whose skills no longer meet the demands of the market.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)