Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitarists (1 Viewer)

those guitarists you listed are rubbish

anyway, there have been threads on this before.
its impossible to rate peoples musical ability.
You might have all the technical ability in the world, but it doesnt nessicarily make you worth remembering

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
slash and dimebag yes but I dont like the rest.. whats wrong with cobain at 12?

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Cobain was not a good guitarist. I liked Nirvana's music back in the day and I still listen to it sometimes. His guitar is not among his strong points though.

I mean, Cobain before George Harrison? WTF did these guys smoke before they compiled this list.

what exactly did kurt do for music?
spawn a generation of shitty grunge bands?
gee thanks man, we're forever in your debt

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Nirvana didnt really do anything that existing bands hadnt already done.

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
Grobus said:
I also think they are missing the following:

"Dimebag" Darrel Abbot
Zakk Wylde
Kerry King
Jeff Hanneman
Dave Mustaine
John Pertucci
Slash
Sophie
oh, geeze. im flattered. *blushes*

artfag

Banned
HSC
35 John Fahey
43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
61 Ike Turner
88 Dave Davies of the Kinks
89 D. Boon of the Minutemen
94 Bert Jansch

teehee

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
Petrucci's probably one of the most technically proficient players but clearly that list takes into account the scope of the appeal of your music. Prog Rock is a very narrow genre.

sarevok

HSC
Agree about Cobain. What he 'had done' for music The Pixies had done a few years before, unless you count making angst and whining a part of rock music favourable... He's only so beloved because he shot himself in the face

i don't think the list is that bad, with the exception of jack white and kurt cobain even being on there. robert fripp should be much higher though, and james dean bradfield deserves to be included on the list as well. love that they actually included verlaine

HSC
how could they not? he was a hero to all the alternative white nerds out there.
zappa and buchanan should have been much higher, and the absence of rory gallagher cuts deep

Last edited:

kittycat552

sarevok said:
He's only so beloved because he shot himself in the face
Geez that's just lovely.
Once again it's your freaking opinion that you are basing cobain's merit on...can't each person judge the contribution he has made?

I agree that the Pixies are awesome. Why the fuck aren't you sulking because Kim Deal or Frank Black are not on that list?

And it wasn't Cobain's freaking fault that he "spawned a generation of shitty grunge bands".

Glad to see Joni Mitchell & Joan Jett on there though

Last edited by a moderator:

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
mustaine is a good guitarist, slash is fucking terrible, so is cobain. I love slayers guitaring, but a lot of purists dislike king especially.
anyway any list that comes out of rolling stone is guaranteed to be bullshit.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Yea, but its still interesting to ponder on just how terrible.

I didnt realise the date that list was compiled - probably explains why Jack White is on there since Elephant had just come out.

slip

HSC
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

im happy

kurt was not a technically brilliant player, but he was a great song writer... from the point of view that sometimes less is more

in this case less technical, less embelished ment the songs were more catchy

and so from that point i can sorta see why he is there, but i can see what your all saying he really wasnt that great at guitar.

and what kurt did was make what other bands such as the pixies were doing mainstream. and if you look at most bands today they will say they were influenced by nirvana, and from that point of view he was important.

sarevok

HSC
"Once again it's your freaking opinion that you are basing cobain's merit on...can't each person judge the contribution he has made?"

No shit it's my opinion. Of course if you want to think Cobain is God you're entitled to

"I agree that the Pixies are awesome. Why the fuck aren't you sulking because Kim Deal or Frank Black are not on that list?"

Frank Black is a great songwriter but hardly a brilliant guitarist...I don't see how Kim Deal could be on the list considering she plays the bass, lol.

'And it wasn't Cobain's freaking fault that he "spawned a generation of shitty grunge bands".'

maybe not, but on a whole his influence was mostly detrimental to rock music.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)