• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

salary stats (1 Viewer)

sam_account

HSC
just curious wat's the difference between a CPA and a CA??

and secondly wat's the average salary for a CA vs a CPA?

and wat is the average salary for bach. of commerce sydney grad. major in accounting and finance??

thanks

sam_account

HSC
hi guys--- i gotta put in my uac preferences soon--please help me out here..just sum sats on salary

ty

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
u got to uni and do a Bachelor of commerce or economics and get your accounting degree.
Then you sit a series of little exams and get your CPA (practicing certificate)...that's a CPA
A CA is more like a graduate degree, you go do 18 months in a big firm learning the ropes etc and then sit a series of much more difficult exams and if you pass you become a chartered accountant.
CA's are generally much more intelligent and end up with the better jobs (and thus larger saleries)
if you have the dedication to do a CA wen you've graduated, do it for sure.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
so you're saying that you are allowed to be a CPA for a few years then change codes to CA?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
sam_account said:
thanks gordo

BUT wat about salary statS???
Salary stats are varied...you can't judge based on a few opinions, and averages are just that - averages. The average salary of an accounting grad is $38k

Just some personal knowledge, I'm working at EY next year on a starting salary of $41k, and after talking to people there, your salary gets up to $60k after you get your CA (around 3rd or 4th year of employment). As I said thats just one example.

volition

arr.
HSC
so if you wanted to become a CPA after an economics degree.. .what majors would you need to choose? are there any in particular that you would have to choose? is it the same majors for a commerce degree?

OptimalJ

HSC
Gordo, allow me to correct you.

My older brother is a CPA and is the CFO of a major company. He has a number of CAs reporting to him....he earns a lot more than them.

He says that CAs have traditionally come from the professions (i.e the larger auditing firms) and that the CPAs have traditionally started off in industry (that is accountants in the corporate world).

There is nothing that indicates that on average CAs earn more than CPAs and you are quite wrong in saying that by passing exams you become a CA/CPA cos you need practical experience before you get either.

Besides, what is a first yr engineering student doing giving out careers advice about the accounting profession ??? Gordo - please leave it to those who know what they are talking about.

Cheers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)