SAQs (1 Viewer)

DarkOperator618

HSC
Anybody have any tips to approach long response questions for physics?

thx

OreoMcFlurry

HSC
One thing I've changed recently which brought me from a low rank in physics, to coming first in physics trials (our school did online trials) is improving how I approach long response questions. Personally, my biggest issue in physics exams is not directly answering the question, and vaguely discussing topics related to the question without addressing the question. I know my content fairly thoroughly, but I struggle to know what to say and how to say it.
When you see a long response question:

1. Circle/ highlight/ underline the key word of the question (e.g. explain, analyse, evaluate etc.) I would always overlook this glossary of key words, but it's important in allowing students to know how to present information. E.g. if the key word is evaluate, then it's important to state a judgement. Hence, you could simply get some marks from making an ultimate judgement near the end of your response.

1632137370226.png

(also, feel free to underline any other important words - which leads us to my second point...)

2. Spend 30 seconds to 1 minute quickly annotating the question. Say for example, the question was about lenz's law - if you wanted to, you could quickly write the definition of lenz's law to help integrate that into your response.

3. Plan your response (approx. 1 minute or less), this doesn't have to be super detailed. Just quickly jot down any ideas, and think about the order which you're going to put them in.

I might not have the best way to approach long response questions, but this method does work for me. I think you should try this for any long response questions from past HSC papers (trial papers as well). After I started to pay close attention to the actual question, and what they're looking for - I started to get more marks. Possessing the skill to appropriately answer these long response questions is a true gift which only some people naturally have, but it's possible to develop these skills!

(Note: Try to give your responses to your physics teacher for marking if possible)

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)