Scaling: whats the go? (1 Viewer)

aLexTasyy

HSC
ive been hearing a lot of things about scaling and im not to sure but apparently for drama they've taken the scaling away? does this mean that we are all treated as equal (private & public) or are the private schools still going to get awesomely fanfabulous marks coz their rich bastards? (no offence trinity auburn or b-town grammar)

HSC
aLexTasyy said:
ive been hearing a lot of things about scaling and im not to sure but apparently for drama they've taken the scaling away? does this mean that we are all treated as equal (private & public) or are the private schools still going to get awesomely fanfabulous marks coz their rich bastards? (no offence trinity auburn or b-town grammar)
Scaling will remain in all subjects.
There is no reason why you should believe that students from the private schools you mentioned should get better marks, just because of the schools they go to. They may have better resources and opportunities (related to drama), but this does not influence the way in which they are marked.
All students are treated equally, markers are not aware (as far as I know) of what school you attend.

bored of sc

HSC
aLexTasyy said:
they've taken the scaling away
If that ever occured I'd go straight to general maths, standard english, senior science and keep music 1 and religion (but bump it to) 2 unit.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
At my friends school some women from the board of studies came in and told them that scaling doesnt exist.
I think the confusion lies in the fact that the BOS dont do the scaling, UAC do it.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Sarah182 said:
At my friends school some women from the board of studies came in and told them that scaling doesnt exist.
I think the confusion lies in the fact that the BOS dont do the scaling, UAC do it.
Oh no, some dude from BoS came to our school and said that.. Kinda misleadingly
This is what he said. 'There are no set scaling standards for any subject. It is completely dependant on the performance of the year's cohorts.'
Which is completely f*cking stupid 'cause just previous scaling standards are a pretty good indication of future scaling standards
It's not like we're gonna completely break the trend that's been followed for 7 years
Anyways, you can see why there is confusion, f*cking BoS officials
I asked them whether or not you could apply for the FoI thingo (yes, yes it's old) and he said 'The only person I believe that has ever been successful with a Freedom of Information request was the creator of Bored of Studies'
The idiot

HSC
youngminii said:
I asked them whether or not you could apply for the FoI thingo (yes, yes it's old) and he said 'The only person I believe that has ever been successful with a Freedom of Information request was the creator of Bored of Studies'
The idiot
That Board guy is full of dickshit, numerous FOI applications have been successful in the past albeit it being virtually impossible now (people exploiting the Act to find out raw band cut-offs etc).

And scaling does exist and will not be removed in the foreseeable future, i have to agree with you, there is a chodeful of confusion among BOS officals.

Proof of the existence of scaling: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2007_fin_web-sep.pdf

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
kevinx2 said:
That Board guy is full of dickshit, numerous FOI applications have been successful in the past albeit it being virtually impossible now (people exploiting the Act to find out raw band cut-offs etc).

And scaling does exist and will not be removed in the foreseeable future, i have to agree with you, there is a chodeful of confusion among BOS officals.

Proof of the existence of scaling: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/tsc_report_2007_fin_web-sep.pdf
i understand why the Board wont release raw marks, but can we still claim our exam scripts under the FOI Act , cause im led to believe they do no marking on it, and so claiming the sripts will not jeoperdise RAW cutoff's, etc..?

HSC
Pwnage101 said:
i understand why the Board wont release raw marks, but can we still claim our exam scripts under the FOI Act , cause im led to believe they do no marking on it, and so claiming the sripts will not jeoperdise RAW cutoff's, etc..?
I'm not quite sure bout that, but lol why would you want the exam papers back anyways?

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Why can't bos just give us our raw marks as our hsc marks?
Then UAC can do all the scaling and such to calculate our uais?

It would be a whole lot easier for me to gauge how I am going in comparison the rest of the state and also what UAI to expect.
At the moment my UAI is looking to be anything between 30-100 because I have NO idea what raw marks I should be recieving for my subjects.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Sarah182 said:
Why can't bos just give us our raw marks as our hsc marks?
Then UAC can do all the scaling and such to calculate our uais?

It would be a whole lot easier for me to gauge how I am going in comparison the rest of the state and also what UAI to expect.
At the moment my UAI is looking to be anything between 30-100 because I have NO idea what raw marks I should be recieving for my subjects.
There are some threads around here that reveal the general alignment change to raw marks in previous years (up to 2004 I think) - for instance, if I recall properly, an 81/100 English raw exam mark translates to an aligned mark (the mark that you see) of 90/100? It was something similar to that. Just search up those threads, and figure out backwards what raw marks you think you'd need. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)