• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Schools Reputation + Students marks (1 Viewer)

Earache

HSC
In mid year 10 when we selected our yr 11 subjects I believe we werent given enough information on the subjects and scalings etc..

Just found out that in standard english it is very hard to get over band 4 even if u write a great essay and answer well..

I argued with my teachers about it and conclusion is :

-schools dont want to lose any rep..
-they dont think of every student only the ones that are high up
-and old teacher have to retire soonn so soon.. they cant teach, im sick of hearing about them and their family..

:spam:

jcurry

HSC
im surprised you werent told even the basics about that stuff but maybe you should of researched a bit since it was ur hsc

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
i agree with you- in the sense that we wernt told enough information

But i still don't see the point?

Prosper

HSC
We were given a lot of information. Our school doesn't offer English Standard or E.S.L I think for the main reason that you stated. Getting a Band 6 in English Standard is hard for some retarded reason and therefore it is best doing English Advanced

leoyh

mic`
HSC
some fully selective schools that are highly reputable only offer like advanced english as its minimum and 2 unit maths as its minimum. its just to lift the general performing standards of the school.

michael1990

HSC
Yeah agree with above comment ^^^

Whats your question?

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Im going to make a question.
Because There is none.

What is your schools reputation like ( ie, average UAI's, band 6's ect)

michael1990

HSC
risole91 said:
Im going to make a question.
Because There is none.

What is your schools reputation like ( ie, average UAI's, band 6's ect)
Well our school Risole, has abismal results in the HSC. Our highest UAI last year was 80 as you should well know.

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
in before lyounamu

o wait

answering risole's question: my school is pretty good, especially in maths, and, recently, the humanities. I think 5 guys got prem awards last year and the highest UAI was 99.65 iirc. In 01' or something someone got 100 :eek:

i think OP is saying their school convinced most people to do standard so they don't make the school look bad by doing advanced and getting shitty marks? I do agree with you that we aren't told enough about scaling and the like- a teacher even told me they aren't allowed to discuss that stuff with students.

michael1990

HSC
Rhanoct said:
I do agree with you that we aren't told enough about scaling and the like- a teacher even told me they aren't allowed to discuss that stuff with students.
thats bull man, our teachers have told us about it. Like after we choose the subject. They said like um... Economics is an 'Elite' Subject and if you do well it scales your UAI hgher.

I dont know why we aren't told about this when we actually choose these subjects, if i knew the things i know now, it would be so different, i would of chosen much different subjects. Instead of taking the schools advice and only doing the subjects that interest you the most.

IT SUCKS BALLS

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
michael1990 said:
thats bull man, our teachers have told us about it.
Righto. I was discussing scaling with a teacher one day and she said something like "I'm not even supposed to be talking to you about this", so go figure. I agree that it's utter shit that they drill the whole 'do the subjects you enjoy' down our throats despite the fact that if we 'enjoy', say, <insert hopeless subjects here> our UAI is pretty much fucked from the outset.

What can you do?

michael1990

HSC
Rhanoct said:
Righto. I was discussing scaling with a teacher one day and she said something like "I'm not even supposed to be talking to you about this", so go figure. I agree that it's utter shit that they drill the whole 'do the subjects you enjoy' down our throats despite the fact that if we 'enjoy', say, <insert hopeless subjects here> our UAI is pretty much fucked from the outset.

What can you do?
[/size][/font]
Yeah agreed!

Because the teachers are like you will do heaps better at a subject you enjoy. I do agree with that statement but many of us have no prior knowledge of the subjects we choose anyway. Like myself, i choose Business Studies without doing Commerce in year 9 or 10. And i love it, but i had no prior background in that subject.

Why can't they talk about Scaling with us? (if indeed they aren't allowed to talk to us about it)

cs01001

HSC
I remember back in teh days, when my school invited this George Cooney guy form Macquarie University to talk about all this scaling stuff. All he insisted was 'Do whatever you enjoy and the UAI will sort itself out'.

If all they ever told you was that 'this scales up/this scales down', it would attract quite some stuents to enrol in that particular course, purely because they are blindly after the 'scaling up effect'. All in all, this will do more harm then good, becuase people will eventually tune out if they are not genuinely interested in the subject, tuning out = less effort, less effort = poor result/reputation. Plus, it isn't really fair to say infront of a particular teacher 'This course = epic failz at HSC!1!!1'.

Maybe I am not making sense, lol.

Anyway, what's done is done for 08ers. So Yeah, let's move on.

romolomo

HSC
i think the whole 'do what you like' actually works... i mean the girl who came second in our school did what she liked and got like 99.something around there (she was pretty smart but thats besides the point)

the girl who is currently duxing our grade does 'badly' scaled subjects too... shes doing art, and is still the best in our grade at the moment. the other one coming second is doing food technology (im guessing you get the idea now)

just for the record, i dont go to a girls only school, just the girls seem to be smarter :D

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
The fact that students that do humanitarian go well shows how much harder maths/science is.

michael1990

HSC
tommykins said:
The fact that students that do humanitarian go well shows how much harder maths/science is.
there is several different intellegences, just because someone may not be intellegent in Maths/Science and they are intellegent in the Humanitarian subjects does not make it harder than any other subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)