Science Pracs in general (1 Viewer)

kardi

Sup ppl

i was wondering if any one had notes on ALL/some pracs which they can post up, on 2 the site. Coz its really easy 2 get notes on ur mainline syllabus dot-points, but no1 seems to have prac notes. If sumone culd post em up it wuld b great.. or u culd email me with them.

thanks

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
lol... i don't want bos to be stealing my notes... ahahaha.

let me see...
up to you, but its not going to make a difference. The only thing it will do is help another student do well, as a rseult Chesmitry will have higher scaling. Which will benefit you.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
up to you, but its not going to make a difference. The only thing it will do is help another student do well, as a rseult Chesmitry will have higher scaling. Which will benefit you.
no thats an attractive proposition! :D

abdooooo!!!

Banned
what the? are you crazy... i mean you got the whole idea of scaling wrong... i thought you were a pro. :p

the chem scale is based on the other subjects performance that the chem people do... :)

ahh who cares i'll send it to you.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If the candidature of the students doing Chemistry is strong, the scaling will also be strong. For a course like Chemistry there are usually people who are strong in all their subjects anyway...

Although the difference of helping one person do well is negligable in making the scaling better it doesn't matter....now send it to me!! :D :p

abdooooo!!!

Banned
If the candidature of the students doing Chemistry is strong, the scaling will also be strong. For a course like Chemistry there are usually people who are strong in all their subjects anyway...
yeah the whole point of the strength of the canditure is based on the other subjects and not chem... so in helpin others in chem i am actually making myself worse off.

yeah im sending it to you... wait uploading slow. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Umm......helping others won't make you worse off.

helping another person, he/she will do better, hence doing better will mean Chemistry will have a higher scaled mean, hence "better" scaling.

So you are not worse off, unless you are both at the same school.

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Umm......helping others won't make you worse off.

The whole point of strength of the acndidature is based on Chemsitry on it's one. Very little of it has to do with their other subjects.

Either way...in you helping another person, he/she will do better, hence doing better will mean Chemistry will have a higher scaled mean, hence "better" scaling.
what are you saying??? you need some revision on how scaling works man or you just need to think logically... ahh im not gonna argue with you... so did you recieve it???

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The scaling model used assumes that the position of a student in a course depends on the developed ability of the individual student and the strength of the competition with whom they compete. Since the UAI is a rank that reflects academic achievement, strength of competition is defined in terms of the overall demonstrated academic attainment of the course candidature.

Understand now?

So basically, the better the marks the better the outcome. By you helping others, it will boost their marks, not lower their marks in other courses. So its a win situation!

Haven't received it yet. Give it a while, the BOs mail server might be a bit slow :p

Last edited:

abdooooo!!!

Banned
The scaling model used assumes that the position of a student in a course depends on the developed ability of the individual student and the strength of the competition with whom they compete. Since the UAI is a rank that reflects academic achievement, strength of competition is defined in terms of the overall demonstrated academic attainment of the course candidature.

Understand now?
ahhh... you're annoying me now... damn it... its you're logics that totally confused yourself.

the hsc mark is determined by just the subject your doing.

the scaled uac mark is determined by the canditures performance in their other subjects compared to the rest of the state. ie they first compare everyone's english paper since everyone does it and so on... so a relative comparison of the strength of the canditures in each course can be graphed and then set by the uac stasticians as a scaled average. this scaled average must remain for the subject no matter how good the performance of the canditures internally is. ie if the scaled average for chem is set to 75 then say if everyone scores 100% in the exam then everyone shall get 75 as their scaled uac mark if you don't count assessment marks. so clearly this shows that helping others in the same subject is a disadvantage to yourself. but its not like my notes will garantee good marks or anything... so yea. :p

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The scaling for a course is determined by the overall demonstrated academic ability of the candidature. This is measured by the average performance of the candidature over all courses they took. If the performance in any one of those courses increases, clearly, the average will increase, and hence so will the scaling for the course in question

abdooooo!!!

Banned
The scaling for a course is determined by the overall demonstrated academic ability of the candidature. This is measured by the average performance of the candidature over all courses they took. If the performance in any one of those courses increases, clearly, the average will increase, and hence so will the scaling for the course in question
ahhh... i want to hit you so badly... abdooooo hates you ragerunner!!!

ok here we go again, the overall academic performance for a particular candicture is not affected by the internal performance in that particular course. but if you claim it does then this defeats the whole purpose of fair scaling ie one would not get disadvantaged nor advantaged from choosing an easier course over another. because look at 4u math this year... the heighest raw is about 90% and 99 for hsc mark... so if what you are claiming is true then the 4u math canditure is severly disadvantaged compared to general math where the heighest raw is 100% and hsc 100. since you are counting internal performance for the particular canditure as a part of their overall academic performance.

but even if it does... i think mathematically it can be proven that disadvantages of letting others gain more marks is stronger than the so called advantages that will be gained from raising the scale unfairly. :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
ok here we go again, the overall academic performance for a particular candicture is not affected by the internal performance in that particular course.
Incorrect. The overall academic ability of the candidature is measured over all courses they took, and not simply over all other courses. (However, the iterative procedure used prior to 1986 measured academic ability according to the performance of the candidature in all other courses. You described something vaguely resembling this procedure in an earlier post - but it's no longer used.)

because look at 4u math this year... the heighest raw is about 90% and 99 for hsc mark... so if what you are claiming is true then the 4u math canditure is severly disadvantaged compared to general math where the heighest raw is 100% and hsc 100.
There is no such disadvantage. The distributions of raw marks for all courses are standardised to have a common mean, standard deviation and top mark before the scaling procedures are applied. In fact, various modelling experiments have shown that the results of scaling are extraordinarily similar even if this initial standardisation doesn't occur. :) I wonder if I should write a script to simulate it.

but even if it does... i think mathematically it can be proven that disadvantages of letting others gain more marks is stronger than the so called advantages that will be gained from raising the scale unfairly. :p
Yes, well, that is a possibility. :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Sorry, I just had to bring him into it. It appears my words are useless. :)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Sorry, I just had to bring him into it. It appears my words are useless. :)
you're both useless... how could the uni dude be wrong... this is annoying me.

im gonna punch both of you... ahh its a bit too late now... can't find where you people live in the dark.

Originally posted by Lazarus
There is no such disadvantage. The distributions of raw marks for all courses are standardised to have a common mean, standard deviation and top mark before the scaling procedures are applied. In fact, various modelling experiments have shown that the results of scaling are extraordinarily similar even if this initial standardisation doesn't occur. I wonder if I should write a script to simulate it.
ok explain to me how this work logically without disadvantaging and advantaging a group of canditures.... i need proof before i believe. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)