Science Vs Engineering (1 Viewer)

d.s.

HSC
Hello everyone,

I'm in Year 12 right now and I'm faced with the need to make a choice as to which course I want to undertake next year in university. I've arrived at two possibilities, combining commerce with either science advanced or engineering, and I don't know which will suit me better.

I guess my decision will ultimately be based on whether or not the degree will give me the skills I wish to attain in order to reach my goals. I'm interested in research and cutting edge technology, like new materials, quantum computing, robotics, 3d televisions etc. I want to be part of that. I'm just not sure which of the two are better suited for someone like me looking for a future in research and development.

Can anyone help me shed some light on the different things scientists and engineers do in general, as well as in terms of which research areas they're mostly involved in?

pottsy44

HSC
yea why commerce?

um id say engineering bc its a bit more generic and more widely accepted. it is also pretty common for engineering grads to branch off away from engineering careers and go into other industries quite easily.

d.s.

HSC
Commerce because I want to someday combine my knowledge from both courses and start a company.

Say, for example, if I wanted to build an anti-gravity levitation system, should I have done science or engineering?

Raginsheep

HSC
Engineering more or less takes scientific knowledge and trys to make practical use of that knowledge. Science finds that knowledge regardless of practicality. If your going for cutting edge stuff, go science and if possible a eng/sci double.

Doing commerce because you might want to start a business someday is like doing medicine cause you might get sick some day. Actually, doing med would probably be more useful in the long run.

Raginsheep

HSC
Engineers couldn't do anything without science.........

Having said that though, its two fields which complement each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)