Selective schools with incompetent teachers? (1 Viewer)

FootballHooligan

HSC
Not at a selective school, but my (former) Geography teacher was absolutely terrible. She'd basically either give us sheets to learn and highlight, or put on a powerpoint on the board and expect us to copy. Most of the lessons consisted of talking about random stuff unrelated to Geo. Funny story on how she got the punt if anyone is interested.

FootballHooligan

HSC
Well you're in for a treat my good man!

Beginning of term 2, we're just starting the topic "Ecosystems at Risk" and going okay when she mentions that in about a months time, she'll be going on holiday. Strange, considering we have our main assessment block literally a week after she was (suppose) to get back. The assessment was also going to be on the topic we hadn't started (People and Economic Activity). So she decided to skip Ecosystems at Risk completely and start the new topic so we'd be somewhat prepared for the assessment. Well she'd just went and f----- us over because the next week she was gone and we had a sub for two and a half weeks, having no idea what to do for our assessment.

So we go up to the Head of HSIE subjects and we're like WTF is going on, and she's like yeah we'll give you a week extension on top. She also arranged the other HSC geo teacher (who was assigned to a prelim or HSC Geo class) to take us for the rest of the term. Blimey, in literally two lessons I'd learnt more than what I had learnt with the old teacher in three-four weeks.

Now, we've done the assignment, and said former teacher hasn't returned from "holidays", sparking rumours of her whereabouts. Some say she'd been sacked (for a number of reasons, which I am willing to disclose later), some say'd she moved. Fast forward two weeks, and a couple of guys in my year (both 18) went to a hotel/pub in my local area and lo-and-behold, guess who is working behind the counter. None other than my former Geo teacher!

We've asked the Head of HSIE and she said that my former teacher has been "sick" and that she hasn't been able to come into work.

For a normal student they'd be freaking the f--- out because of this, but I'm ranking first and I'm like three marks off a band six for my internal mark, so not so much for me :). Knowing me I've probably jinxed myself but oh well :read:

If anyone can top that I feel sorry for y'all

Erudite

HSC
Hmm, just wondering how "said" teacher managed to get a degree in teaching. Schools shouldn't subject students to such incompetent teachers especially during the HSC! Congrats on being ranked first and don't worry bud you're not the only one who has had bad teachers, my english teacher doesn't even turn up sometimes and mind you this is advanced english. We never even get a sub. :(

FootballHooligan

HSC
Even better, she always used to brag about how she was "studying" for her masters. Yeah lol good luck with that m8

That sucks! Do you have a tutor or someone that can help you?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Teaching isn't a very noble profession/highly looked up compared to many countries around the world.

Erudite

HSC
Even better, she always used to brag about how she was "studying" for her masters. Yeah lol good luck with that m8

That sucks! Do you have a tutor or someone that can help you?
Yeah I got an English tutor and like study guides on every module so it's alright. Masters as a hotel receptionist maybe [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]... If that even exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werq

HSC
I am now a wk before hsc and honestly i dont care anymore. I need to type this out and idk if i should make my own thread. I have been consistently a very top student without trying very hard 100%'s etc. and I did so much for the school. I expected students to be crazy, but never staff. Basically; my head of english who has a reputation of making ppl suicidal wanted less work to do so she decided to scare ppl out of 4U English and notifies my deputy (inexperienced and newly appointed). After this resumed 10 in and out extreme threats throughout 2 months verbally, and through letters, in front of my parents etc. This caused my whole HSC yr to be bad. My careers advisor said it was a waste of time and resources (which it turned out to be and I knew it and I voiced that to them) but they ignored at first, later pretending like it never happened. My psychologist wrote a letter saying this sent me to suicide hospital. These letters clearly said "u must pick up legal (a 2U subject which i actually did crap in)" and that i "must see a mental health person"; who turned out to be a nurse/worker creepy man, not even as competent as school counsellor (who left cuz she couldnt handle the b.s.) later my deputy did dark manipulations to this mental health creepy man to portray like the school did nothing wrong and portray me negatively when I was appreciated by nearly every staff; they probably made a deal as he made lots of money off of me. anyway coupled with art teacher who started HALF A YEAR later then all the other schools, told me 1 day before everything was due that I couldnt use half my art collection, and librarian who would yell at me after my laptop was sat on and broke in the library. yes and its a sinking "selective" school. everyone suggested i take legal action and i shouldve reported to depart of edu WHILST i was in school. but i am thinking of doing that and to bostes now...
ugh fml right... it broke me, my elderly disabled family, and my life.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
^ Yeah that must suck.
My year was probably lucky in that no-one cared about English; and most of the top students in my year headed down the Engineering/Science pathways.

Personally I think the choice for new deputy (who was HT welfare when I was there, yikes); was not the best.
Report it to BOSTES, see what happens; if you have retained a copy of the letters, it would be worth scanning them and sending.

I personally had a much better experience, at least in Year 11/12 minus all the stress that is kind of expected for HSC and other health problems, but there is still a lot of change that needs to happen at that school. Some of the teachers are really nice, some cannot teach but are still nice. Others, yeah, you wonder why they are in education.

Usually 4U English doesn't run for timetabling reasons, hence why legal was probably suggested, but the nature of this doesn't sound like your typical case.

Last edited:

Werq

HSC
^ my new deputy was also ht welfare. 99% of time and energy has been spent with dealing with this shit. I was suggested to do legal because there was no 1U subject I could pick up which was why I saw my careers advisor, to possibly do some tafe thingy which also didnt exist; (even tho I did horrible in legal, hence i dropped and again i was forced to do it in yr 11 due to timetable issues) also other students actually failed subjects; if i didnt have a problem before I would actually have a problem its like WTF. And also everyone at my school buys unethical help so... as exposed in a Sydney Morning Herald article (Teachers demand change to combat 'endemic' cheating) which saw majority of English staff leaving.
BTW this all happened in Term 1 this year... not Term 4 last yr when everything starts. Alot of staff has stood up for me but it is difficult. I shouldve reported whilst I was still at school even school staff told me to but I was afraid it would get worse. They also suggested I contact lawyers..
Honestly the emotional and mental and physical effects to me is worse then my HSC being effected; I shouldve left in yr 10; but then I never believed something like this would be possible. Thanks

Last edited:

rian

HSC
At least it is only one teacher. At my new school we are rank about 400 out of 500. The teachers and almost all students don't care at all how they do. This is so frustrating to me as the school i was at before we moved had such a great work ethic

RyanT7

HSC
At least it is only one teacher. At my new school we are rank about 400 out of 500. The teachers and almost all students don't care at all how they do. This is so frustrating to me as the school i was at before we moved had such a great work ethic
You should consider moving while you can

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)