• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Selective Schools (1 Viewer)

Vinneh

I live in the 5 minutes between waking up in bliss
HSC
Hey everyone, first time poster.
I was just wondering about the selective schools.. How much difference do they really make? I mean, if you work properly and use external sources for study as well (internet, books whatever), where are the extra marks comming from?
That wasnt rhetorical.. just trying to get some views.
I didnt see what all the fuss was about until I saw this forum. I hadnt even considered applying
I find it hard to compare the schools (I only attended a private school for a few months), except through the results of the school cerificate (I averaged ~87, but again, dont have any contacts in selective schools)

HNCS

Fanatic
HSC
well, I recently got into Selective, and compared with my old school, selective is very good. They teach in different ways. For example, in english, the teacher even talks in a way that would improve my essay writing; before the teacher just lets us write essays, and complains you use too much "complicated" language.
Also, for chemistry and physics, I'm learning so much, and they teachers actaully make it fun.
I reckon selective is worth it. Though...
For private school, it depends... Not offending or anything, but private schools around the corner without much "prestige" won't get you anywhere really good. That's my opinion.

Vinneh

HSC
Ah none taken, I go to a public school.. The teachers I have are good (with one or two exceptions, but hey, 1/5 isnt bad) but yeah, I cant really compare it with anything. Seems though that a lot of people on this site talk about bad teachers, and bah, I dunno

AngelicOne

HSC
I don't know. You do get marked harder i guess, but generally the teachers are better, talk to you on an equal level. (seriously, legal is really quite interesting. Judge Stone plays devil advocate between two activists in our class) I know at my school we had to do Advanced Maths Yr9-10 and we have todo Advanced English this year. And teachers assume you know how to do everything, so you don't get taught that. But selective high school makes more sense than sticking all these people who get through the work fairly easily in a class where others need more explaining. Though i have heard that in normal high schools 2 page essays are considered hard. we're expected to do 5 page essays in 40 minutes. There are people who do fail the HSC at selective schools but i think its more a matter of trying the best you can. And the lectures! teachers give a lecture about the hsc every week i think. god! and the gist is basically read outside of class. When do we have time? there's like an assessment due every week!

HSC
I go to a public school, and i only have a problem with one teacher (unfortunately its my English one...) All of my other teachers treat us like adults (when we act like them :)) and try and make the lessons as fun and hands-on as possible!

Vinneh

HSC
Ah Angelic, I see where your comming from.. I spose it is class specific anyway, we dont really consider 2 page essays hard.. And yeah, for writing tasks I try to write 4-5 pages, but Im in the advanced classes, dont know what its like in the other ones.
The way these schools are portrayed, they seem to be on a "higher level" to the normal schools :p
Ahh yeh Chocolate, 'Hands on'.. Our biology teacher gave us all scripts one day, for a play on photosynthesis. Was a bit of a laugh :p Nothing better than a bunch of kids in a senior science class trying to act.
Sounds dodgy ^^ but he really is a great teacjer

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Vinneh, I realise these are your first few posts. But theres another thread discussing the same topic, so it would be good if you discussed there.

As for the dumbasses like Megan who replied in this thread - refrain from breathing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)