Self-Teaching Advanced Maths (1 Viewer)

disguisedshiba

HSC
Hi, I am in year 11 doing these subjects (top 25 school):
-English Advanced (13/50)
-Mathematics Standard 2 (1/40)
-Biology (14/63)
-Chemistry (5/26)
-Earth and Environmental Science (10/32)
-Legal Studies (20/62) (dropping this garbage, I don't mind the subject but too much time commitment and an annoying teacher for yr12)

Last term's 2-week break, I completed half of the Advanced Mathematics Cambridge Prelim Textbook (Chapters 1-6) and have paused since the beginning of term. I want to keep going but I'm not sure how I should structure my time (My goal is to finish the Advanced Maths HSC content through self-study by the end of my HSC so I can enroll in an extension 1 bridging course.) I am mathematically minded and aware that the jump to prelim to HSC for 2u is big but I haven't struggled too much at all in the early chapters (though I think the next few chapters are logs/exponentials, and some intro to calculus stuff); point is, it's way different without a teacher but I enjoy it and it is something I truly want to do. I'm not really struggling in any of my other subjects and those that my ranks are so-so in are the ones I've bludged in. My motivation for this is I want to get into CS because I love computers but understand there's a big math mountain to climb before I reach that point. I'm not struggling with any of my other subjects at the moment and I think my biggest issue is time management. Thoughts? How should I go about this? Thanks.

I spoke to the 2u teacher a few weeks ago and she said it would be too late to try to squeeze into the class but she said it was too late (offered help wherever necessary tho )

"Why didn't you pick advanced to begin with?"
I had a rough year 10 personally which affected my marks (I wasn't offered advanced)

disguisedshiba

HSC
There's also like 0 content in std maths and I find it really easy without effort so I think I have the time but I need to be more resourceful

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Given that you are still in year 11 (where none of your results count), you can continue to work through the remaining parts of the Mathematics Advanced year 11 course at no expense. This also means that you should attempt to complete as much coursework as possible before year 12 starts, which is where time management becomes crucial as you mentioned, especially in your case since you will need to allocate time towards your HSC as well as your objective of finishing the Mathematics Advanced year 12 course by your prefered date.

Your current in Mathematics Standard 2 is excellent, especially when considering your school rank, and the fact that you are in this position without much effort/finding the content easy is quite promising because this indicates that you may potentially not need to allocate a significant amount of time towards Mathematics Standard 2 in year 12 and instead allocate some of that study time towards Mathematics Advanced. However, I would probably not recommend sacrificing study time that you would use for one of your lower-performing subjects like English Advanced in order to work on Mathematics Advanced.

Of course, self-learning any subject may pose challenges, meaning that you should definitely seek assistance (primarily from your teacher, but you are also welcome to ask questions here :bosman:) whenever you feel the need.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)