Short Answer Advice (1 Viewer)

HSC
Sort of last minute here,

I've been practising a bit before hand, but short answer is always my weakest section (especially the last few damn). Any final advice on interpreting sources or the last questions.

I can never really SEE the techniques in the texts, even though I look :mad:

Thanks

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I tutor a year 10 girl in English and she has the same problem with unseen texts. She writes fantastic essays and she absolutely gets what's going on in all the texts, she doesn't see the techniques. What I did for her was write down a list of literary techniques and their definitions and examples of them (absolutezero made a fantastic thread on this forum listing heaps of techniques, take maybe 5-10 of the ones that seem like they'd come up a bit more often, remember them and look for examples of them so you know how to identify them). Now when she goes into her exams she scans the texts for any of those techniques (even basic things like alliteration and juxtaposition are worth looking for) and runs through all of the ones she knows in her mind like a check list. Her marks for those types of assessments have improved heaps since she started doing this, so hopefully it will help you too :)

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
The key is to integrate your belonging essay thesis into your short answers. Relatively easy for me, as I formulated my thesis around the essence of the AOS and the rubric, and converted this into a linear progression of belonging, and separated this into various paradigms.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Sort of last minute here,

I've been practising a bit before hand, but short answer is always my weakest section (especially the last few damn). Any final advice on interpreting sources or the last questions.

I can never really SEE the techniques in the texts, even though I look :mad:

Thanks
just take 2 minutes or even less just to look at the image and related anything with the image to belonging. Then just write the relationship you have discovered and there you are.

But also just go through the techniques like one day before so you would know what relation you are gonna talk abou

Use the title as the technique
Lol, I did that in my trials and the teacher accepted it.

HSC
I tutor a year 10 girl in English and she has the same problem with unseen texts. She writes fantastic essays and she absolutely gets what's going on in all the texts, she doesn't see the techniques. What I did for her was write down a list of literary techniques and their definitions and examples of them (absolutezero made a fantastic thread on this forum listing heaps of techniques, take maybe 5-10 of the ones that seem like they'd come up a bit more often, remember them and look for examples of them so you know how to identify them). Now when she goes into her exams she scans the texts for any of those techniques (even basic things like alliteration and juxtaposition are worth looking for) and runs through all of the ones she knows in her mind like a check list. Her marks for those types of assessments have improved heaps since she started doing this, so hopefully it will help you too :)
I know, I do that sometimes too. But I always think the techniques I see are too obvious, but apparently that's okay. Tone is pretty much half of what I write about with written texts, although I can only see two-four techniques per text.

Also, that's a really good way to frame it, Obliviousninja, I think I'll use that too. Thanks :D

It's quite odd, though, but some of the earlier questions from the recent HSCs (2011-2013) are entirely conceptual, and use no techniques at all. Should I still briefly mention one or two, or just talk about the relationships and such...?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)