Should I do Science Extension? (1 Viewer)

yellowhighlighterr

HSC
I want to enter the Bachelor of Medicine/Doctor of Medicine course at university.

Do you think that Science Extension would be a helpful course to take up for this path? Or is it not going to be helpful for me?

thanks,
yellowhighlighterr

carrotsss

HSC
A few of my friends take science extension and what I’ve gathered is that it’s a really fun course and the major project is really interesting, but it is a LOT of work on your report for what is effectively weighted slightly more than a depth study. If you love science though it’s worth a shot

nsw..wollongong

HSC
i used to do scix (dropped it abt a month ago) and tbh it was rlly chill in class bc most of the work is outside (with ur mentors, etc). however altho hsc exam is online and only 2 hrs, don't underestimate its difficulty. i had a practice online task for one of my assessments and my entire class struggled with completing extended responses in the short amt of time. given that tho, its pretty helpful if ur doing subjects that require data analysis (eg a chunk of the math adv course is on it) and if ur gonna use it in uni (if u don't get into med).

hubertxschubert

HSC
Like the guy above me, dropped scix a month ago, and I had the same of experience (it being chill etc). What I would suggest if you were to do it is to keep a consistent portfolio and conduct avery simple and niche experiment, otherwise you will spend too much time worrying about how to make a perfect research project. Keep in mind that it also, if one to take it seriously, is a ridiculous amount of work for just one unit. Keep in mind also that an E4 is extremely hard to get (2022 was just under 8% Band E4). If you really enjoy the subject I suggest you go for it, but don't treat it like any other 1 unit subject, especially if you're aiming high for a Med degree (like myself). Despite dropping the subject because the workload impeded my other studies, it was most likely my favourite course, extremely interesting and ultra-pragmatic if you were to enter data science, medicine, medical science research, and even philosophy.

So overall, go for it, as it's a great course (and amazing for med), but don't half-arse it otherwise it will fuck up the rest of your subject, but keep it simple and don't let it overrule you're core subjects (as it is 1 unit!).

Vall

HSC
i don’t know why everyone is saying to do it. if ur aiming for med then u probably shouldn’t do it. i started sciX then dropped when i realised how much effort it required even to just pass and decided it wasn’t worth it (it was also my 13th yr12 unit).
at my school (top 10 selective) i think there was 7 or 8 people who completed the course and non of them (all smart people - the school encouraged people who were good at science to do it) got an E4.
if ur aiming for med (i.e. aiming for high atar) ur effort is better spent on 4u maths

yellowhighlighterr

HSC
i don’t know why everyone is saying to do it. if ur aiming for med then u probably shouldn’t do it. i started sciX then dropped when i realised how much effort it required even to just pass and decided it wasn’t worth it (it was also my 13th yr12 unit).
at my school (top 10 selective) i think there was 7 or 8 people who completed the course and non of them (all smart people - the school encouraged people who were good at science to do it) got an E4.
if ur aiming for med (i.e. aiming for high atar) ur effort is better spent on 4u maths
noted; thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)