• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I have dropped Chemistry? (1 Viewer)

Dan1995420

HSC
Yes I've dropped chemistry.

My parents wanted me to go down the road of Doctors/Medicine, so I chose Chemistry in my preliminary year.
As I got further into the Chemistry course, I felt that my Chemistry teacher is too boring and I failed to find any interest in the subject any more.
My Chemistry teacher was at least 60+ years old and he usually uses the very traditional ways of information cramming.

Out of about 20 people in my Chemistry class, over 8 have dropped the course.

But the problem was, I had put in little effort throughout the course but I got better result than I expected.
In one of the topic tests which was done in class, I never did any study (didn't really listen in class either), and I managed to get the 5th highest mark with ease, maybe because the topic was heavily maths based.

But I'm thinking, should I have dropped the subject simply because of lack of interest?

Aysce

HSC
Well, since you really weren't motivated to study for Chemistry and that you lacked interest due to your teacher, I believe you made the right decision. Continuing to do chemistry with little to no effort will only have a detrimental impact upon your ATAR in which dropping it can enable you to focus on other subjects that you may be more interested in. Assuming that you were to keep chemistry, I honestly don't think you would've made a MAJOR improvement in your performance so I think you made the right decision. :)

Lack of interest = Demotivation = Usually hindered performance --> Lower ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)