Should my second IT major be accredited? What if it isn't? (1 Viewer)

Howangu18

HSC
Uni Grad
In a scenario, I apply into a bachelor degree, says, Bachelor of Science.
I do research on the internet, and I found out that the degree with my Chemistry or other science majors in it that I would choose is professionally accredited by organisations like RACI.
However, I found out from the unis' handbooks that these courses also include IT majors among other majors of the course offered by the science faculty, like on the main page about the course, for example:
  • USYD, Bachelor of Science, has in science majors table A: computer science, data science, information systems, software development
  • Macquarie, Bachelor of Science, has these as one of the major that could be completed to earn the degree: Business Information Systems, Computing, Cyber Security, Data Science, Information Systems and Business Analysis, Software Technology, Web Design and Development and even Electronics!!!

And then I check for the list of accredited course on the Australian Computer Society website, these courses aren't accredited. I also compare these Bachelor of Science with other IT degrees (ACS accredited) on the school's handbook, and I found that the majors that are on the IT degree are also the same and are consisted of the same units as the Science degree's, but the IT degree require some more units compared to the Bachelor of Science (e.g. USYD Bachelor of Advanced Computing & MQ Bachelor of IT)

I would choose a science major and an IT major. I'm qualified for the science major that I choose. But would my degree being not ACS accreditted affect me getting an IT job, even though I completed the major, or even study those units that are in the IT degree?
What is the purpose of these IT majors being included while the degree is not accreditted by the ACS?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You should check whether you actually need accreditation, as most careers generally don't. Some are required by law (e.g. being a registered pharmacist, or an accredited structural engineer), and others are just a matter of preference (e.g. CA for accounting). I would think that degrees like chemistry and IT do not need accreditation to get a job.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I have not seen a technology job that requires the degree to be accredited. Some want cisco certificates etc which you do outside your degree. Have a look at gradconnection, seek etc and filter for IT positions. ACS is not considered important for most of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)