Should the top students be worried about, or thanking the low achieving students.... (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
My question is centred around the scaling issue that occurs due to students ranks in their year.

So we all know that our ATAR is scaled in accordance to our assessment rank. That said I'm in a year which performs probably slightly over the state average, so there are quite a few high achieving students on the top end of teh scale, a good bunch of average students in the middle and quite a few not-bothered low achieving students on the end of the scale. What I'm basically asking is... as a middle range student, should I be worreid about the low achieving students pulling the SCHOOLS rank down and thus scaling everyone's ATAR down, or should I rather be thanking the lower students for being their at the bottom giving me an easy higher rank?

enoilgam

HSC
Re: Should the top students be worried about, or thanking the low achieving students.

My question is centred around the scaling issue that occurs due to students ranks in their year.

So we all know that our ATAR is scaled in accordance to our assessment rank. That said I'm in a year which performs probably slightly over the state average, so there are quite a few high achieving students on the top end of teh scale, a good bunch of average students in the middle and quite a few not-bothered low achieving students on the end of the scale. What I'm basically asking is... as a middle range student, should I be worreid about the low achieving students pulling the SCHOOLS rank down and thus scaling everyone's ATAR down, or should I rather be thanking the lower students for being their at the bottom giving me an easy higher rank?
Its difficult to say really, it depends on a variety of factors. Look, there isnt much you can do anyway, so its not worth stressing out about it. Just focus on yourself and the things you can control.

barbernator

HSC
Re: Should the top students be worried about, or thanking the low achieving students.

your final mark will be reflective of your performance in the end. The aligning and scaling covers for everything relative to your mark. Don't complain about any dropkicks that don't care, because ultimately its your marks that make the difference

BrokenGlass

HSC

Don't worry too much about people above or below you. Just focus on your own game, set some goals and try and meet them for the external hsc exams.

M

MichelleV

Only worry if you plan to screw up the external exams.

If you doing well internally and you do well in externals you've got no problem :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If there is a MASSIVE gap between the few people coming in last (or close to it) and the people just above them then it will hinder no one but them.

Yay.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Personally, I think you should keep your eye on how well you're going - which translates to a higher rank, and a lower mark differential from those ranked above you. It's really your goal when you're in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)