Shrek as a related text (1 Viewer)

JamesBrauman

HSC
Hello, first post here.
I am doing Peter Skrzynecki's immigrant chronicles for the AOS in paper one, and I am thinking about doing the movie 'Shrek' as one of my related texts. My main reasoning for this is that I know the movie very well and it involves a physical journey where the person (or ogre) is out of thier comfort zone and is venturing into new territory, and how both involve unexpected things along the way on thier journeys.

What do you guys think about this?

Thanks.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
ONLY if you can write about it in a sophisticated manner and have reasonably good insights. otherwise, popular texts aren't always good choices.

EDIT: make sure your awesome shrek insights link well with your immigrant chronicles insights too. AOS is concept driven.

Last edited:

JamesBrauman

HSC
wendus said:
ONLY if you can write about it in a sophisticated manner and have reasonably good insights. otherwise, popular texts aren't always good choices.

EDIT: make sure your awesome shrek insights link well with your immigrant chronicles insights too. AOS is concept driven.
Well I am pretty good at writing about it in a sophisticated manner, its the concepts I have trouble with but I will keep at it.

What do you mean by AOS is concept driven? And do all texts HAVE to be able to link to each other? =/

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
An HSC marker came to our school recently and told us that plenty of people choose shrek, finding nemo, the bible (hahahahahahahahahahaha - the bible) as their respective ORTs. She said that makers prefer originality in people's choice of text...I think it would be counterproductive to go ahead with shrek, that's just my honest opinion..

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i mean if you want an a-range response, it's best that you have your structure something like this:

thesis statement

insight 1
prescribed text 1
supp text 1
prescribed text 2
supp text 2

insight 2
prescribed text 1
supp text 1
prescribed text 2
supp text 2

conclusion

or something like that. so all your techniques and stuff relate to your insights which support your THESIS which has to be original and relevant.

hope that made sense!

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Oh, I just remmembered that this is the last year they will have to mark journeys. That may/may not be any help to you.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
omg yeah. are you class of 2009? in that case study CHANGE, not journeys. or are you just reading ahead?

JamesBrauman

HSC
wendus said:
omg yeah. are you class of 2009? in that case study CHANGE, not journeys. or are you just reading ahead?
Class of 2009? What do you mean by that??

I'm doing HSC at tafe so its a little different, by no means easier though... this year we have done Yr 11 + 12 Maths and Yr 11+12 English... So Im taking the HSC exam for maths and english this year.

Next year will be 11+12 for 3 more subjects.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
ohh so you're doing journeys aren't you. ok then.

JamesBrauman

HSC
Without Wings said:
The Class of 2009 are not doing Change as the HSC AOS. Change was the HSC AOS prior to Journeys. The new AOS from 2009 onwards is Belonging. You can confirm this by referring the the Board of Studies Website.
Yes I heard that as well.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, to be honest, I think doing Shrek will be a cop out.

jzhang159

HSC
I' think although Shrek reveals elements of a physical journey, it ultimately may be regarded as childish and uninteesting.

Soz. Mate.

HSC
probably too cliche/childish/easy...basically what everyone has said so far

i think its cause if you do shrek you will be so easily tempted to go 'and then this happens..' and the techniques arent condensed or strong enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)