significance of duke of ed for early entry (1 Viewer)

oot123

HSC
N/A
i really want to get into anu law early entry and was looking at the extracurricular / the non-academic requirements and one of them was a gold / silver duke of ed. i am going into y11 next year and already have my bronze award. idk if i should do silver cause firstly duke of ed is really expensive esp. with the camps and stuff and i really don't enjoy the camping.

is it worth it to spend time getting a silver for the early entry application or am i better off just focusing on other extracurriculars?

if i were to do silver, what are some good skills area activities that i can do that correlate to my prelim subjects of legal, eco, modern, adv. eng, chem and ext.1 maths?

thanks!

carrotsss

HSC
im not sure if they’ll continue it for your year and I don’t think they’ve said yet but for our year rather than being awarded bonuses for how many extra curriculars we’d done or anything like that it was just a simple hurdle where we just had to show off that we’d showcased a certain number of their skills through our extra curriculars (stuff like leadership etc), and usually you could fulfill the requirement with only one or two basic extra-curriculars

basically what im saying is if you want to do it then you should (and it’ll be useful for other applications particularly scholarships) but don’t do it just to get into anu early entry. anu early entry is mostly based on how leniently your teacher grades yr11 lol it’s sorta bs

stevie444

HSC
Having done bronze silver and gold duke of ed I can say I definitely found it worthwhile, even doing gold throughout year 12. Gold and silver are both highly regarded for applications but that being said I agree with carrotsss that you shouldnt d it just for the applications. Also, the camping part of doe is really no big deal, I happened to be really experienced with hiking and the outdoors but I know people in my group who were both borderline obese and hopeless at camping who still made it through

Cute-Duckie

HSC
If you think you'll find it worthwile, go for it. If not, there are plenty of other extracurriculars that can supplement your learning all the same. Duke of Ed is a lot of time and money, and you should be invested in it if you want to do it, or else you'll have a hard time completing the award. It's not a short term commitment, so make sure you're ready to give up those 3-4 hours a week at least for a fair while before jumping into the program. That being said, if you are passionate about what you're doing it's a really rewarding experience for a lot of people. It's just not for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)