Sitting trials rn but regretting all my subject choices and I want to study a completely different field in uni. (1 Viewer)

phs_girl

HSC
Hey. Right now there's half a term until I graduate high school. For most of my high school life, I had the general idea that I would do an Arts degree in university, just anything away from the STEM fields, which I hated. I'm almost finished year 12 now and am doing all non-stem subjects for hsc, so no maths, sciences etc. But the thing is I realised that I have no idea what I want to do in university now, or after. I can't see myself in any career in the Arts direction anymore, and the media communications course I've been setting my sights on seems suddenly unappealing. I'm curious about the stem fields now, but its literally too late to change subjects to more mathematical ones, and no uni would take me into a stem field with my subject selection. Is there a way I can pursue a stem degree in university after high school? Would they let me transfer from an Arts course to, let's say, an engineering course midway? I really don't want to resit the hsc, and I also don't want to delay university in any way either. Can I study a TAFE course in stem whilst doing my Art course? How can I move into the STEM field as an Arts student?

idkkdi

HSC
Hey. Right now there's half a term until I graduate high school. For most of my high school life, I had the general idea that I would do an Arts degree in university, just anything away from the STEM fields, which I hated. I'm almost finished year 12 now and am doing all non-stem subjects for hsc, so no maths, sciences etc. But the thing is I realised that I have no idea what I want to do in university now, or after. I can't see myself in any career in the Arts direction anymore, and the media communications course I've been setting my sights on seems suddenly unappealing. I'm curious about the stem fields now, but its literally too late to change subjects to more mathematical ones, and no uni would take me into a stem field with my subject selection. Is there a way I can pursue a stem degree in university after high school? Would they let me transfer from an Arts course to, let's say, an engineering course midway? I really don't want to resit the hsc, and I also don't want to delay university in any way either. Can I study a TAFE course in stem whilst doing my Art course? How can I move into the STEM field as an Arts student?
lol, I feel this might be a case of the grass looking greener on the other side. Ngl, picking up STEM will probably be more brutal than doing arts, but if you're sure about it then I hope someone here, probably @quickoats, has some ideas.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
There's really no prerequisites for uni courses, I think besides USYD which might need 2u maths. The content for maths in uni might just be hard but you can work harder and study some maths in the holidays maybe.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
I feel like you have no idea what STEM degrees would look like in uni since up to now you had no interest in it, maybe look at some degrees/what they learn about and what skills/jobs it leads to. Also you might need to honestly ask yourself if you can get good enough at math or want to get good at math to do those degrees, I think that would be the biggest thing stopping you from enjoying STEM if all you have is Y10 math knowledge.

Were you thinking of anything in particular in STEM or just the field in the general?

quickoats

HSC
Which area of STEM did you want to go into and why?

Don't let your lack of maths/science background deter you - there are plenty of courses e.g. MQ MATH130 which cover the fundamentals to catch you up to the university level. The learning curve will of course be steep, but there's nothing you can't do if you put your mind to it.

If you truly have no idea what direction you want to go in, but still want to taste arts and stem, maybe start off with a BA+BSc degree. This way you can do some arts units that you like (its such a broad area) and some introductory units from science, which may help you refine which path you want to go down e.g. if you really enjoy "intro to computing" you might change your degree to computer science or software engineering.

It's literally so easy to change degrees (unless its like medicine) and an extra year or two of uni isn't going hurt in the grand scheme of things (your life will be long and HECS will just disappear from your tax return slowly) so don't get too caught up in trying to pick the right degree straight out of high school.

Right now probably just focus on getting through your trials because you have like a few months after the HSC to deliberate over your decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)