Smaller Classes (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Seeing as ranking seems to be more important in determination of the moderated marks, would having a smaller class of like 8-12 be of any advantage ?

assuming you are doing pretty bad in a subject that has a small class

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
You mean would it be an advantage in terms of your rank? I don't think it'd make a difference. Ranking 8th out of 8 may SOUND a bit better than coming 100th out of 100, just as coming 1st of out 100 would sound better than 1st out of 8, but when they actually do the maths and compare the class results with the rest of the state along with the HSC marks, it shouldn't make any difference at all.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I guess the only advantage in having a course canditure of 100 rather than only 8 would be that the moderated assessments should -on average- be closer together, and that might result in a better mark-for-rank

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
A disadvantage of a small class is if you have a few good students and then like a few really terrible ones who don't give two shits about the subject then scaling will affect you a bit. The History Extension class in my school last year had about 12 guys, 11 of whom went decently and 1 went really really bad (he is now repeating year 12). This meant that their school marks were scaled down a bit, but if that one bad guy wasn't there then it would have been a lot more advantageous.
In a big group however, there is better chance that the bad students marks will be absorbed and wont affect the good guys too much.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
well i just got back an exam result in a class of 9 students

no one got over 75% and i did pretty poorly.

as in somewhere in 30%

while others got 40-60%

how would moderating marks go in terms of those marks considering no one got over 80%

because i just want to know whether screwing that exam will have a big impact on my UAI. it was worth 30%

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Ragerunner
how would moderating marks go in terms of those marks considering no one got over 80%
If u read one of cyph's posts, u should already know that internal school assessment marks mean jack all in this case, since everyone did badly...if u are ranked 1st in a course with an average assessment mark in school of 25%, this would be no different from a person ranked 1st in the same course from a different school with an average assessment mark in school of 97%. It's how well these two hypothetical ppl do in the HSC exam that matters. Say, these two ppl ranked 1st get the best HSC exam marks for their respective schools. Say the person with 25% gets 98 in his HSC exam...his moderated assessment will be 98 as well (explained earlier) and therefore HSC mark of 98. Person with 97% assessments gets 93 in his HSC exam, and therefore mod. assess. mark of 93, and therefore 93 for his HSC mark. That's roughly wat the moderating process does - allows differnt schools to be compared on a level playing field, so ur marks in school are irrelevant basically

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
so if i did very bad at school. i.e below 50% its affect wouldn't be great if i do very well in the HSC Exam ?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
what if there are 2 ppl in the class... their internal assessments marks are very close, but their hsc marks are very different?

what would happen to ur school marks?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Ragerunner
so if i did very bad at school. i.e below 50% its affect wouldn't be great if i do very well in the HSC Exam ?
yes, provided, u are ranked 1st, or close to it, and/or the WHOLE canditure from ur school does well in the exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)