• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

So i want to get a good atar, but so far i fkd up. If i improve now can it change? (1 Viewer)

jackfrost

HSC
I've stuffed up 45% of my math exam (30-50%) but all my other subjects are fine. If I catch up before trails, and magically do really well in the HSC exam, can my ATAR change, positively?How do ranks and assessment marks work.Thanks in advance guys :)

RishBonjour

HSC
Re: So i want to get a good atar, but so far i fkd up. If i improve now can it change

Wow. A lot of people are on the same boat.

Everythings possible. Basically. failing one half yearly/first assesment has a minute impact on your overall atar

work hard, get a top rank. kill hsc exams. good atar (Y)

I got like 30% in physics HY and 10% in 3u half yearly (Y)

Aysce

HSC
Re: So i want to get a good atar, but so far i fkd up. If i improve now can it change

Of course it can change positively. Although, if you're talking about "smashing the trials" and "acing the HSC" you actually have to dedicate yourself to doing so. Depending on your desired rank will determine the level of effort you must exert to ace the trials - by your standards. People say that they they will own the trials and they will ace the HSC but some if not most, do the talking but lack the walking. You can still catch up, it isn't over.

^ You better ace the next assignments, son. Make me proud!

jackfrost

HSC

Hypothetically speaking, what if one failed around 2/5 of their subjects. It's that it, HSC over :S

deswa1

HSC

Depends on their ATAR goals. Someone aiming for 99.95 realistically can't stuff up anything (maybe get the occasional not so perfect mark but you can't bomb it). Alternatively, if you are going for 80, you could stuff up a few times and still achieve your goal.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

^The game is never over till it's ended.

But define fail and the parameters of "subject"? Like legit failed (<50%) in subject half yearlies? Or overall?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

How many units are you doing?

jackfrost

HSC

Half yearlies only (But so far 45% of assessment marks have been covered). Is a 90ish still possible. What if I ace the hsc exams? lol.

jackfrost

HSC

10 unitz.

jackfrost

HSC

@ Aysce: LOL :( I'm touched.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC

Stop asking these questions.
Just give it your 100% regardless.

But seriously, 90+ is easily possible.

Cl324

HSC
N/A

You have no hope. Fake depression now so you can get 5 bonus points

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

You have no hope. Fake depression now so you can get 5 bonus points
Interesting post, Cl324

D94

HSC
N/A

I've stuffed up 45% of my math exam (30-50%) but all my other subjects are fine. If I catch up before trails, and magically do really well in the HSC exam, can my ATAR change, positively?How do ranks and assessment marks work.Thanks in advance guys :)
Was that because you didn't know the content or didn't know how to approach the questions? Or what that because you have no interest in the subject or have mentally shut off from the subject?

Now, sure you're probably going to get a low raw mark unless you get like 100% in the next few (which realistically, unless you work extremely hard, probably won't happen). This raw mark you get will be moderated/aligned/fixed according to your cohort's HSC exam performance. I can tell you that if ALL your cohort's marks lie within say 80-100, then your moderated assessment mark will definitely be 80+, and then it's up to your own exam performance.

Raw marks can be misleading if the exam is difficult, however, considering you're getting below half the marks in a 2U maths exam, you really need to work hard from now on if you want to have any chance at a Band 5.

Given a poor performance in 1 subject, say Band 4, it's still very possible for a 90-95 ATAR, assuming the performance in your other subjects are exceptional.

Ranks work by collaborating all raw marks and respective weightings in the subject and then literally ranking each person from highest raw mark to lowest. Assessment marks are just the raw marks you get in your assessments :| Not quite sure how one can elaborate on that.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

^The game is never over till it's ended.

But define fail and the parameters of "subject"? Like legit failed (<50%) in subject half yearlies? Or overall?
That is a good quote, LoveHateSchool. I might put it on my wall to ensure I don't get depressed hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)