Society + The Simpsons - critical study (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I'm doing a critical analysis on how the TV show "the simpsons" makes a statement on society.

Things that i can talk about include
* feminism (Lisa mainly(
* society's preassigned gender roles
* stereotypes
* the Simpsons as an "ideal family"
* religion and what the Simpsons has to say

and i get a bit stuck here. Is this enough to talk about? and are there any ideas that you think i could talk about?
Thanks

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
I think that's heaps. I guess it just depends on how much detail you want to put in each section. I'm doing a critical response also and I found that what I'd planned to write was way to much and had to cut it down dramatically. What you have sounds really interesting though.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
just wondering how are you going to analyse it? Aren't there like 300+ episodes already? Are you selecting a few to demonstrate your points?

Jinglebell

HSC
i'm using the simpsons as well, only i'm doing a comparison between the opinions in the simpsons and shakespeare. i've narrowed my topics down to race, religion and gender and i'm still thinking i might have too much. so i don't think you'll need any more. from the extensive research *ahem;)* i've done into the simpsons, there's loads to write about and millions of examples.

good luck:) oh, and don't you love being able to watch tv every night and call it homework???:)

TastesGoodBut

a good eopisode to talk about gender is the one where lisa goes to the military camp

she demands to be let in and there are afew good lines you could use in that one
"a girl in the military... i just dont understand... what your saying is... your a girl?"
"yes"
"i just dont understand... though with these changing times... they have women drivers now..."

etc etc - it wood be a good one

religion would be good - the leader episode etc. stonecutters, the 'angel' lisa discovers

i dunno - i know alot about simpssons so PM if u need a specific episode on something

chip

HSC
babydoll i think you have heaps of stuff to talk about there and will probably end up having to cut down cause isn't it only like 6000 words including your reflection statment?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I'm probably going to take a few episodes and analyse em in detail.

I love my major work, its something I really enjoy.. yeah I think now that I think that i'll have too much to talk about, but thats better than not having enough!

And Jinglebell - look up a book called "The Simpsons and Philosophy" - it's full of interesting stuff. It's basically a bunch of essays about the issues that the Simpsons deals with. or http://www.snpp.com is really useful too. =)

Jinglebell

HSC
thanks babydoll, http://www.snpp.com is already one of my regulars:)

there's also a book i borrowed from one of my teachers that you might wanna check out, i think it's called 'the gospel according to the simpsons' or something like that. it's all about religion in the show and has a ton of good examples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)