Software Engineering???? (1 Viewer)

StudyOnly

HSC
Anyone do Software engineering at UNSW, USYD, UTS?
How is your experience in your university? Is it a course worth doing (in terms of job prospects in Australia etc)? There is a shorter computer science degree, should I go for that instead? Is CS harder? Is there more maths in CS than software engineering? Does it lead to the same jobs?

Thanks.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone do Software engineering at UNSW, USYD, UTS?
How is your experience in your university? Is it a course worth doing (in terms of job prospects in Australia etc)? There is a shorter computer science degree, should I go for that instead? Is CS harder? Is there more maths in CS than software engineering? Does it lead to the same jobs?

Thanks.
Well I do computer science so I can answer quite adequately.

Experience has been great. Problems can be challenging which keeps you on your toes. Assignments are fun and the online help forum is really effective, I've always gotten a reply within a few minutes. Teaching quality wise, it's really quite good. I haven't had one 'bad' lecturer so far, as opposed to my non computing courses where about half have been alright to pretty bad.

It's definitely a course worth doing.Technology is what's hot right now, and it will always be.I haven't really heard about anyone complaining about job prospects.

I was originally going to do soft eng, but I went with CS instead, and I would encourage you to do the same. Looking in the handbook, as far as I can see CS and SENG learn the exact same math courses. CS is one year less and employers regard it as an equal to SENG, so there is really no reason to choose SENG, unless you want to do extra courses such as Software management/construction etc which look boring as.

CS get's you thinking like a scientist, essentially the ability to problem solve much more than SENG, where SENG focuses more on just developing a software and making it best fit the needs etc..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)