Solving a non-linear system of equations. (1 Viewer)

maniacguy

No you don't. At the risk of sounding arrogant, what I was doing wasn't particularly hard - it was basically translating the question into a random variable setting and simplifying it a little bit. It should be trivial after second year actuarial studies, and probably not too hard after first year.

That said, based on your other posts, I'm sure you'd be able to do actuarial studies without too much trouble, Grey Council. Do it combined with maths - clearly the best way to go :D

Damn, Keypad - just looked at your .sig - why didn't you decide to join the actuarial empire? :p

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
oh mad! Your serious?

whoa, i think i'll go and do some more maths now. lol

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by maniacguy
Damn, Keypad - just looked at your .sig - why didn't you decide to join the actuarial empire? :p
Maybe he didnt like having lots of $$$$'s or maybe he wanted an interesting carrer :p

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
or maybe he wanted to tell everyone he got a scholarship in Uni. ;)

who knows? I s'pose we'll keep wondering till he tells us. oh btw, turtle said that actuarial studies only has maths for like the first 2 years. After that its not as much maths. hmmm

J0n

N/A
HSC
Originally posted by Grey Council
oh btw, turtle said that actuarial studies only has maths for like the first 2 years. After that its not as much maths. hmmm
What do you DO after that then?

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
maths thats not called maths. ^_^

i dunno, you'd have to ask flyin' or someone. hehe

maniacguy

Re: Grey Council's question:
Yes, I am serious. Obviously saying you can do actuarial is not the same as saying you'll do well at it - that depends on whether it's stuff you'll enjoy doing, because it is different in a lot of ways to high school math. Interesting, but different.

Re: turtle's comments:

He's just biased :p (of course, so am I, because stats is so much bludgier than pure maths, meaning that I like the latter because it's interesting, and the former because it's not completely boring and is relatively easy :) )

Besides, you do some measure theoretic stuff in third year actuarial as well, even if it's not necessarily called such. (Anyone wanting to know what measure theory is, consult mathworld.wolfram.com, which gives a reasonable definition after some running around. If you don't understand it, don't worry - it's not taught until third year pure maths in any event)

It's just that the first two years are where it'll be more obvious that what you're doing is just maths, as opposed to being set in the real world (though a lot of examples are application-based, as are the assignments).

Oh, and specifically to turtle:
Oi! Don't knock stats. It's better than applied by a mile, and better than most of the physics related maths (ignore the bits where the two overlap).

Plus you could (as a Med student) try and weasel your way into the Medical Statistics subject being run this year...

maniacguy

You can travel and have fun as an actuary...

The important thing is that you're doing Science in Maths though (advanced or otherwise)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)