Some IT q's! NEed help! (1 Viewer)

c00kiezncreme

I'm not sure about these m/c q's...i need to confirm my answers..i dont have the answers to these q's
please help me out.. :)

Q1) Which of the following statements relating to laptop computers is true?

(A) Laptop computers cannot be connected to a network.
(B) Laptop computers are always less powerful than desktop computers.
(C) Laptop computers can run the same software as their desktop equivalents.
(D) Laptop computers are incompatible with most printers.

Q2) A new software program is to be installed onto a computer workstation. The files needed for the software installation are stored on a CD-ROM. Which of the following is most
likely to describe the process of installing the software?

A) Copying only executable files from the CD-ROM onto the computers hard disk
B) Backing up all files on the CD-ROM onto floppy disks and following the prompts
(C) Write-protecting the CD-ROM and running the program upgrade.exe
(D) Running the file setup.exe from the CD-ROM and following the prompts

Q3) Which of the following best defines a printer driver?
(A) A hardware device used for producing paper output
(B) A piece of software designed to assist the output from a printing device
(C) The belt used to turn the drum in a laser printer
(D) An operator responsible for maintaining printing devices on a network

Q4) Which of the following best describes workers compensation?
(A) A reimbursement of wages or salary paid to a worker injured at work
(B) A reimbursement of sick leave and superannuation paid to the injured worker
(C) A fixed amount paid to the injured worker while performing light duties
(D) A fixed amount paid to the injured worker as a compulsory saving

Q5) An employee uses unlicensed business software. The employees organisation is in
breach of which of the following?
(A) The copyright laws
(B) The organisations confidentiality policy
(C) The occupational health and safety laws

Q6) What term best describes the act of tracking the activities carried out on a computer
network?
(A) Logging on
(B) Auditing
(C) Pinging
(D) Troubleshooting

Q7) Which of the following best describes an organisational chart?
(A) A graphic representation of the organisations employees
(B) A diagram depicting the long-term goals of the organisation
(C) A structural representation of the departments within the organisation
(D) A flowchart that outlines operational procedures within the organisation
(D) The software companys style manual

Q8) Chris installs a scanner on the managers computer. When testing the scanner, Chris finds it runs very slowly. Which of the following is the most probable cause of the slow performance of the scanner?

(A) The scanner has been attached to the serial port rather than the parallel port.
(B) The voltage switch on the scanner is set to 110 volts rather than 240 volts.
(C) The processor on the managers computer is insufficient for that scanner.
(D) The hard disk capacity on the managers computer is insufficient for that scanner.

Q9) Many operating systems allow a floppy disk to be formatted as a system disk. What files
will typically be copied onto a system disk during this formatting process?
(A) All files from the computers root directory
(B) All files on the hard drive
(C) Sufficient operating system files to run the computer
(D) Sufficient executable files to run installed software

Q10) Mark is working on a quarterly financial report using a standard spreadsheet package.While he has the file open, his colleague Beth opens a copy of the same file. She makes
some changes to the file that she has open but doesnt rename the file.

Which of the following statements is always true?
(A) Mark will not be able to save changes to the spreadsheet while Beth is working on
her copy.
(B) The spreadsheet that Beth is working on cannot be saved.
(C) The changes that Beth makes to her spreadsheet automatically appear on Marks
spreadsheet.
(D) Beths spreadsheet can be saved, provided it is stored in a different location to
Marks.

Huy

HSC
N/A
I don't do IT/VET, but here are my answers if you'd like a second opinion on yours.

Laptops can be connected to a network, they can run the same software as their desktop equivalents, and they are compatible with most printers.

Q2) A new software program is to be installed onto a computer workstation. The files needed for the software installation are stored on a CD-ROM. Which of the following is most
likely to describe the process of installing the software?

A) Copying only executable files from the CD-ROM onto the computers hard disk
B) Backing up all files on the CD-ROM onto floppy disks and following the prompts
(C) Write-protecting the CD-ROM and running the program upgrade.exe
(D) Running the file setup.exe from the CD-ROM and following the prompts

A copies the setup files onto the disk, it doesn't execute the files. B only backs up the files, while C "write protects" the CDROM (right!) and runs "upgrade.exe" (LOL). D is the most likely method of installing the software.

Q3) Which of the following best defines a printer driver?
(A) A hardware device used for producing paper output
(B) A piece of software designed to assist the output from a printing device
(C) The belt used to turn the drum in a laser printer
(D) An operator responsible for maintaining printing devices on a network

Drivers are not pieces of hardware, so that rules out A. C is also physical/hardware, and D is ambiguous because it uses "operator" (which is really what a driver is, it operates and directs hardware, through software). BUT the clincher has been the fact that D has "... on a network". A printer driver can work on a standalone single PC, so I would make the assumption that "operator" meant a real human being aka "computer operator/user". B is a piece of software (driver), and it also assists the printer output, so that's your best bet.

Q4) Which of the following best describes workers compensation?
(A) A reimbursement of wages or salary paid to a worker injured at work
(B) A reimbursement of sick leave and superannuation paid to the injured worker
(C) A fixed amount paid to the injured worker while performing light duties
(D) A fixed amount paid to the injured worker as a compulsory saving

I am a little hazy here, but I would say A. Why? Because C and D involve fixed amounts, worker's comp isn't always a fixed sum, however "while performing light duties" gave it away, it is COMPENSATION, not pay! That also gets rid of D, which says "compulsory saving" (since when was compensation 'compulsory saving'). Which leaves B, I didn't pick B because although he is the 'injured worker' (the key point here), he is not sick or on leave, and it is not superannuation, thereby making A the correct answer.

Q5) An employee uses unlicensed business software. The employees organisation is in
breach of which of the following?
(A) The copyright laws
(B) The organisations confidentiality policy
(C) The occupational health and safety laws

In the absence of "Answer D", I can only pick A (as being the most correct). B I would highly doubt, and C has nothing to do with it. So I would say A, because using unlicensed software is a breach of copyright (unless Answer "D" talks about piracy specifically).

Q6) What term best describes the act of tracking the activities carried out on a computer
network?
(A) Logging on
(B) Auditing
(C) Pinging
(D) Troubleshooting

A is obvious, it doesn't track the activity, it creates activity ("logging on"). C is about networking and connectivity, seeing if one PC is "connecting" to another via ping.exe, and D is about solving problems and hardware/software conflicts. So I would say B because audits involve checking histories and activity, e.g. business activity statements BAS's for organisations. For computer/network activity, it is still auditing, B.

Q7) Which of the following best describes an organisational chart?
(A) A graphic representation of the organisations employees
(B) A diagram depicting the long-term goals of the organisation
(C) A structural representation of the departments within the organisation
(D) A flowchart that outlines operational procedures within the organisation
(D) The software companys style manual

I don't do IT/VET, so I don't know what an "organisational chart" is. BUT, having said that. I can rule out a few answers. A would be outrageous by having employees being represented graphically. D is ridiculous as well ("style manual"?). Which leaves B, C and D. (Why are there two Ds?). I don't think it's the other D as well because it would be too complex showing all procedures! I am swaying between B and C. I have a feeling that it is B, because it fits the description of an "organisational chart", but it could also include the departments. Although, I still think B is the most correct out of the two - gut feeling :)

Q8) Chris installs a scanner on the managers computer. When testing the scanner, Chris finds it runs very slowly. Which of the following is the most probable cause of the slow performance of the scanner?

(A) The scanner has been attached to the serial port rather than the parallel port.
(B) The voltage switch on the scanner is set to 110 volts rather than 240 volts.
(C) The processor on the managers computer is insufficient for that scanner.
(D) The hard disk capacity on the managers computer is insufficient for that scanner.

The scanner is too slow, end of story. B has to do with electricity and in Australia we have 240V A/C supplies, so it would only apply in the US for 110V (If I'm correct). C has nothing to do with it, because that is the CPU, not the scanner, and D is about storage, not scanning. So it is A, because serial connections send out in 1 channel, whereas parallel ports use 8 bits (1 byte) to send through multiple channels.

Q9) Many operating systems allow a floppy disk to be formatted as a system disk. What files
will typically be copied onto a system disk during this formatting process?
(A) All files from the computers root directory
(B) All files on the hard drive
(C) Sufficient operating system files to run the computer
(D) Sufficient executable files to run installed software

A and B is outrageous, you cannot copy all files or the root directory onto a "system" disk. (Boot disk). It isn't D because you cannot run software without an operating system. So it would be C because you are using the system disk to restore the operating system, or to restore the operating system. It normally contains .sys and .bat files (e.g. minimal files to boot off the floppy to reinstall or install an OS).

Q10) Mark is working on a quarterly financial report using a standard spreadsheet package.While he has the file open, his colleague Beth opens a copy of the same file. She makes
some changes to the file that she has open but doesnt rename the file.

Which of the following statements is always true?
(A) Mark will not be able to save changes to the spreadsheet while Beth is working on
her copy.
(B) The spreadsheet that Beth is working on cannot be saved.
(C) The changes that Beth makes to her spreadsheet automatically appear on Marks
spreadsheet.
(D) Beths spreadsheet can be saved, provided it is stored in a different location to
Marks.

Tough question. I had to think about this one! The question asks "which is always true". Now, A would be okay, because Mark has opened the file first and is working on it. Beth will still open the same file, but cannot make changes because the file is in use (by Mark). B says that it cannot be saved, but Beth can save the file IF Mark closes/saves his file first (same filename). Now, C is ridiculous because that can never happen. So, D would be my answer, because it can ALWAYS be true, if Beth saves the file under a different location, and still keeps the same filename :)

Hope that helps you out.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
In terms of computing power, you'd be looking at the CPU clock speed for 'power' ratings. So laptop computers will always be running cheaper or entry-level CPUs, much lower than their desktop equivalents.

E.g. you don't see 3.2GHz P4's at the moment,
You'll be looking at sub 2GHz mark, whereas the desktop PCs have Athlon 3000+, P4 3.2GHz (2.4, 2.53, 2.6, 2.8, 3.06, 3.2+)

del

HSC
N/A
the answer to question 7 is C...
an organisational chart shows the order of hierarchy within a company... this may be departments or positions...

i remember doing that paper last year....

but other than that, i'm pretty sure all of Huy's answers are correct :) ...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Cool, thanks for that del.
I was thinking in terms of IPT (that's the only computing course I do).

Because in terms of a feasibility study, you'll have organisational feasibility which is similar to Q7.

But since I'm not an IT/VET student, you'd know more than I would, I was swaying between the two responses ;)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
omg huy your pretty smart 0_O !! are you at selective?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sukiyaki
omg huy your pretty smart 0_O !! are you at selective?
Nope,
I'm at a single sex (all male) catholic, systemic school :)

Patrician Brothers' College Fairfield (I'm a westie)

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
those were pretty general questions...

you IT students like me, should ask more in the forums, because it really is quite a easy course for the computer literate.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by skool_angel
i didnt know PATs had IT vet
:)
I don't do IT/VET.

But I'm sure we have IT/VET courses on offer :)

skool_angel

Why couldnt the answer be c??
:confused:

because laptops can have the same software as desktops (pc)

i dont noe b caould also be right??
:confused: :confused:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yeah, school angel has a point.
I don't know the IT/VET course and what they should/do know :)

I was just going off what IT/VET students should be taught?
I'm not too sure.
But B AND C are true, although when you think about it, C depends on B being true.

ie Photoshop 7 (usual PC benchmarking app), Quake 3 tests or Video compression/decompression benchmarks will all depend upon a computer being "powerful", with software being instructions required for hardware processing.

It depends on what the course content has to say about it. Does it cover laptop/PC differences in terms of hardware configurations and specifications? Or does it cover software usage on laptops/desktops?

Multiple choice Qs will always want the "most correct" answer out of the given four (or two "equally correct" answers). Again, B and C are true, in relation to the question, (I'm starting to doubt myself here :p).

B or C,
I said B, although it could have been C as well, point taken :)
Laptops can run the same software as desktops, but are they less 'powerful' than desktops? Yes :)

del

HSC
N/A
hmm yeah tricky question there.....

C) Laptop computers can run the same software as their desktop equivalents.

Because if there equivalent in specs then theoretically should be able to run the same software....

btw which paper was this from? (me to lazy to dig though my old notes... sitting somewhere)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by del
C) Laptop computers can run the same software as their desktop equivalents. Because if there equivalent in specs then theoretically should be able to run the same software....
Very true del. In reference to B, C would hold true if, and only if their specifications were identical.

B is true when a laptop (say 1.8GHz Celeron) is compared to a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 desktop. This would then be true given that desktop computers are more powerful than laptop computers.

C would always be true, given that:
i. the laptop has X, Y, Z hardware specifications; AND
ii. the desktop has identical X, Y, Z hardware specifications.

However, in light of C, is that always the case in terms of PC computers?

When you read the question again, it asks which of the following is true in the case of laptop computers.

Do desktop computers have equivalent specifications to laptop computers? No. In most circumstances, desktop computers and their corrresponding specifications will exceed that of laptop computers (it is physically impossible to have laptop computers exceeding the current developmental 'power' of desktop computers).

An ambiguous question, I'll give it that much, although I will stick to my answer, B ;)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Very true del. In reference to B, C would hold true if, and only if their specifications were identical.

B is true when a laptop (say 1.8GHz Celeron) is compared to a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 desktop. This would then be true given that desktop computers are more powerful than laptop computers.

C would always be true, given that:
i. the laptop has X, Y, Z hardware specifications; AND
ii. the desktop has identical X, Y, Z hardware specifications.

However, in light of C, is that always the case in terms of PC computers?

When you read the question again, it asks which of the following is true in the case of laptop computers.

Do desktop computers have equivalent specifications to laptop computers? No. In most circumstances, desktop computers and their corrresponding specifications will exceed that of laptop computers (it is physically impossible to have laptop computers exceeding the current developmental 'power' of desktop computers).

An ambiguous question, I'll give it that much, although I will stick to my answer, B ;)

there specs would rather more so not be able to hold true

primarily if we were directing the software at CAD systems or gfx software suites then the laptop cannot even handle such drawing capabilities smooth enough in comparison to the desktop PC.Nowadays most laptops dont run at optimal speed unless plugged into a power outlet

the CPU Speed is decreased if it's running on batteries to consume energy so thus it cant run every software as well

so that eliminated u can be sure that B is the correct answer

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
there specs would rather more so not be able to hold true
so that eliminated u can be sure that B is the correct answer
It's just one mark! :p ;) :D

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
It's just one mark! :p ;) :D

thats what everyone says

every mark counts

and it all accumilates

this one mark could cost sum 1 a pass in th exam

Huy

HSC
N/A
Point taken, but to go through everything that we had discussed, it would have been a good 5 minutes :)

In the exam, you'll have 1, maybe 1.5 minutes tops for a multiple choice question. They are designed to be 'easy' marks, so spending too much time fluctuating between B and C would lead nowhere (unless, of course, you finally answered correctly ;))

I see where you're coming from though,
1 mark lost in multiple choice, a few sparingly across the page, one or two 'simple' mistakes, and the net effect is that you'll end up with 80% instead of 90%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)