Some questions ... (1 Viewer)

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
So I've almost finished my degrees and I still don't have any concrete plans. Yeah it's pretty bad I know. Anyway, there was some teaching scholarship info sessions going on the other day at uni which I missed out on, but got the website and phone number so I could check it out.

So anyway, the questions ...

1) I got the impression from a few people that these scholarships weren't such a good deal since they lock you into a 3 year term. I don't really see the problem with that, but I thought I'd ask .. has anyone heard anything bad about them?

2) I'd have to do a dip ed, but is this somehow less than a BTeach? Are they equivilent as far as pay goes? As far as job prospects go?

3) Does it matter which uni I do the dip ed at? I understand that some uni's are considered better when it comes to certain degrees, but does this matter so much with education?

4) I'm thinking of the head teachers of each department here, but do I need a masters in education or something before its possible to 'move up' the teacher ranks?

5) Once you get your job, is it likely, or even possible, that I'll be moved to another school as the department of education sees fit?

6) I'd be keen to do the maths teaching, but I guess I'd be qualified to teach subjects like IPT too. Do you actually need a computer science related degree to teach these subjects, or do you just need to have studied a few subjects in it?

7) This is a weird one I guess, but I'm curious. Is there some rule that you have to demand students call you by your last name? I dunno why, but I hate the idea :)

8) Any hints for the interview, or hints for the application? Whats the interview like?

9) Whats the deal with public/private/selective schools, I presume they pay differently, but is that the only reason to chase those jobs down? Is it really a big difference?

I think thats it. Sorry for all the questions, they just didn't seem like the sort of questions I could ask over the phone, and I only have until the end of sept to decide if this is what I want. Thanks.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
WithoutWings has pretty much answered all the important questions, so here's my view on the lastname situation...

Having worked in preschool throughout my degree, the children have called me by my first name.. That's how the centre decided to do it and who was I to argue?? Also during my degree, I have volunteered at the school where my mum teaches... and for her young children, Mrs. *lastname* and Miss. *lastname* was way too hard so they called me by my first name...

Having almost completed my internship and being called Miss. *lastname* for a whole term, I've become quite accoustomed to it... I realise though, that when I teach at the school (mum's school) next term, it will be difficult for them to break the habit, so I'm just going to roll with whatever happens...

So from that big convoluted mess, I hope you worked out that its really a school by school thing (even though the department has guidelines on it..) just see what the school requires... and if you really want the kids to call you by your first name, maybe start with the senior classes, the little one's will just get silly with it, because they are so used to calling teachers by their last name..

Hope that made some sense..

SJ

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies. I went and saw the careers office today but no-one was around that could talk about it and so they said they would e-mail me tomorrow. I'll see how it goes.

As for the first name/last name thing, it's not a big deal. Just a curiosity thing I think :) Thanks for clearing it up though.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Having said all of that, in my classroom (when I have my own class in eleventy-billion years) I will encourage the children to call my by my first name becuase we are all equals on the learning journey (provided the school allows this to happen). The Miss. *last name* thing is a little old-fashioned when you consider our contemporary school systems.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
I think you would probably come across disapproval if you insisted on being called by your first name though, in all the schools Ive been at its not really the done thing. Like SJ said though, schools might move in that direction ebcause time are changing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)