Sophistication? (2 Viewers)

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
my teacher tells me that i need to write with sophistication in my writing i ask her how she explains through reading academic essays.

but i dont understand still what she wants me to do!?

can anyone help me?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Read good essays, attend a lecture to increase essay writing skills
Read books..

You can 'steal' (adapt to) a sophisticated style of essay writing by reading a crapload of sophisticated essays and attempting to copy them
This takes a while though, 'cause you need to copy a LOT

-tal-

HSC
Usually at uni libraries.

Sophistication usually involves getting rid of half assed arguments, cleaning up your use of language, improving concision and most importantly, refining your writing style.

This can be helped by re-writing your past essays.

Got an 11/15 for an essay? FIX IT UP. 11 IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Last edited:

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
cheers but what about the net coz i dont have acces to uni libraries!

-tal-

HSC
You Do It ! use those research skills goddamnit

bored of sc

HSC
Sophistication = not too hard to achieve if you know how to go about it.
Sophistication = complex ideas (going beyond the explicit), alternative ideas (going against the normal) and developed ideas (beyond a simple theis statement).
Sophistication = vocabulary and technical detail when writing. Keep your sentence structure/types relatively simple BUT add an advanced vocabulary. Take for example the following:

(1) The theme of belonging is clear through the use of techniques.

(2) The concept of belonging within a dying culture is evident through the utilisation of range of filmic techniques such as shot angles and music.

The first is simple; clearly expressed but overly-simple and obvious. The second example is more precise because it tells the responder WHAT sub-concept of belonging they wish to explain and WHAT techniques (including what text type and particular examples) they wish to explain. Notice that the second sentence is still a simple sentence but by using more precision and interesting words it looks a lot better than the first.

Hopefully that makes sense.

KISS. Simple is better. Less is more. But sophistication is achieved through a wide use of language/vocabulary and the complexity/logical development of ideas/arguments.

Reading increases vocabulary and attention to sentence structure etc.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)