SOR 2U Assessment Task help (1 Viewer)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
"Investigate one case study of an Aboriginal child of The Stolen Generation."

Outline the effect this dispossession has had in terms of that person's lost of the connection to the Dreaming, the land and identity."

I really don't want to write about Doris Pilkington Garimara or Wajularbinna Nulyarimma again, so if anyone knows of other cases, help would be greatly appreciated.

bored of sc

HSC
some helpful knowledge... hopefully

Kathleen Miller - was dispossesed and assimilated into Cootamundra Girl's Training School in the 1940's - she was there from ages 10-15 - she was trained as a domestic servant and was told to live like the white person - when she was 18 she went back to her mother

the dreaming is everything in the traditional lives of the Aboriginals
the five main characteristics of the dreaming are:
> spiritual - there are key beliefs, sacred texts, ethics and rituals/ceremonies important in living out a spiritually fulfilled Aboriginal lifestyle
> historical - the origins, dreamtime stories and ancestoral backgrounds of the Aboriginal peoples
> totemistic - that each Aboriginal person belongs to a specific group and usually such a group has a plant and/or animal totem/symbol that identifies that group
> naturalistic - the fact that the land is the source of life, nourishment, residence, tools etc for the Aborginals
> tied to the land - the strong spiritual links Aboriginal peoples have the land due to its important role every day

so in response to your question

outline - sketch in general terms, indicate the main features of

effects - consequences (positive and negative but in this case most will be negative for the Aboriginal 'dispossession victim')

dispossession/stolen generations - those Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander people who were taken from their parents and brought in orphanages, institutionalised and sent to live with white families - this policy was part of the assimilation policy - it made Aboriginal children act and think like a white person and was very strict

effects of such dispossession
- not allowed to speak their traditional language
- not allowed to follow their traditional customs
- could not practise their traditional religion
- denied access to family contact
- many young Aboriginals found themselves in a no-man's land of identity: there were not accepted into white society but were also not allowed/accepted into their traditional Aborginal culture
- Aboriginal culture and identity was degraded and refered to as 'wrong'

basically the connection for Miller between her and the Dreaming: spiritual connections with Land and Aboriginal Identity was broken (so to speak)

just google 'Kathleen Miller' for better info

also, outline means you need very succinct, facutal, clear and general information

but to stand out it is recommended that you get really good facts and key examples of how Miller was denied the traditional facets of her life

For example, here's a piece of Oral History (primary source) taken from a recording of Kathleen Miller by her son James Miller in 1982 - "... they were always telling us how to work around the place, lay tables - set tables, how to dress people... My first job was in Goulborn working for a grazier. I ran away from there. I was there with another girl from Cootamundra and she was having difficulty with the land so we ran away." This clearly captures the European type of jobs undertaken by Miller during the time of her dispossession (domestic work, servant, housewife type jobs). The effect this has on Miller's sense of Aboriginal Identity is negative - she is denied of the typical Aboriginal tasks. Thus, Miller could not establish a working relationship with the land nor could she practise common ways of life present in the Dreaming (for example, gathering natural resources for her totem community).

Don't worry. I do religion too. So it helped me :)!

P.S Does it matter what tense you write in? For the above example I did present but it sounds weird :(

Last edited:

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
Thank you so much for that - it really helped (and I always use past tense).

agua.fuego

HSC
gouge.away said:
"Investigate one case study of an Aboriginal child of The Stolen Generation."

Outline the effect this dispossession has had in terms of that person's lost of the connection to the Dreaming, the land and identity."

I really don't want to write about Doris Pilkington Garimara or Wajularbinna Nulyarimma again, so if anyone knows of other cases, help would be greatly appreciated.
It's a fictional book, but it may help.

It's called "Who am I?" by Anita Heiss. It's a kid's book kind of, but it's in that diary series called My Story. It gives a lot of insight into the Stolen Generation, and at the back of them they always have some information about what the book was covering. They're really useful for lots of events, actually - I used one in a History assignment about Vietnam and Women's Liberation.
But at the back, it might have names, or places you can look. And once you read it, you can find out heaps about the way it was in those times.

Hope it's useful!

EDIT - Realise now this might be a bit late. If not, here it is :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)