Speaking/Exam and internal mark calculation? (1 Viewer)

Dubloans

HSC
Apologies if I sound like a moron but would anyone happen to know if the speaking and the written exam for languages are counted as one when determining internal marks? What I mean is that if you were rank 1 internally, would the top speaking mark in your cohort and the top exam mark be used to your internal mark, or would it be whatever mark was the highest overall i.e. combination of speaking and exam / 100?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Please don't call yourself that. All questions are perfectly fine to ask and it is always better to ask questions and seek clarification than not to and potentially risk not knowing important information just because you thought a particular question may be silly.

To answer your question, yes, the speaking exam and the written exam are counted as one, not only for the purpose of the moderation process but also to produce your raw HSC exam mark as well as your aligned HSC exam mark, the latter being the one that NESA informs you of as part of your HSC results. For example, the HSC exam mark of a student who achieved 18/20 in the speaking exam and 75/80 in the written exam will be the sum of both marks, that is, 18 + 75 = 93. These mark values are especially applicable to Beginners and Continuers language courses. If 93 ends up being the highest HSC exam mark achieved in the cohort, it will also become the internal mark of the student ranked first internally in the subject. This means that the speaking component and written component are not considered separately.

This is similar to the way that English HSC exam marks are determined. Consider EAL/D, English Standard and English Advanced, all of which have two papers that students must sit. The mark achieved in each paper is added to produce the overall mark (out of 100 in the case of English Standard and English Advanced, and out of 85 in the case of EAL/D). The overall HSC exam mark is subsequently used as part of the moderation process.

I hope this helps! :D

Dubloans

HSC
Please don't call yourself that. All questions are perfectly fine to ask and it is always better to ask questions and seek clarification than not to and potentially risk not knowing important information just because you thought a particular question may be silly.

To answer your question, yes, the speaking exam and the written exam are counted as one, not only for the purpose of the moderation process but also to produce your raw HSC exam mark as well as your aligned HSC exam mark, the latter being the one that NESA informs you of as part of your HSC results. For example, the HSC exam mark of a student who achieved 18/20 in the speaking exam and 75/80 in the written exam will be the sum of both marks, that is, 18 + 75 = 93. These mark values are especially applicable to Beginners and Continuers language courses. If 93 ends up being the highest HSC exam mark achieved in the cohort, it will also become the internal mark of the student ranked first internally in the subject. This means that the speaking component and written component are not considered separately.

This is similar to the way that English HSC exam marks are determined. Consider EAL/D, English Standard and English Advanced, all of which have two papers that students must sit. The mark achieved in each paper is added to produce the overall mark (out of 100 in the case of English Standard and English Advanced, and out of 85 in the case of EAL/D). The overall HSC exam mark is subsequently used as part of the moderation process.

It certainly does. Thanks a ton. Especially for that first paragraph that was a very kind touch :spin:

year10studentpreparin

HSC

damn man I wish I could be as positive or helpful as you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)