Spectrum cultural ideas festival (aka: win iPods and get free food!) (1 Viewer)

temuet

HSC
I'm plugging SPECTRUM: a very cool event. No, it's not the employment agency or the refraction of light thingy, but the first ever state-wide conference, run by and for multicultural youth. You must attend.

Info: register and get the program at http://www.eccnsw.org.au/spectrum/.
You can just turn up outside Holme Refectory some time on the 13th, though we'd prefer it if you registered (for catering etc) at the above site. It makes you eligible for the iPod draw!

When: 13-14th April, ie. next week!

Where: Sydney Uni...so you have no excuses.

Cost: FREE!!

Age-range: 16-25

Why: good question. Here are my top five reasons.

1. One word: FREEBIES! You have the chance to win Apple iPods and computers upon registration and attendance, lunch is provided, plus you get a canvas schwag bag with free sweatband, stickers, possibly chockies, not to mention the free performances, comedy, and films.

2. It's convenient and the times are flexible. Official registration is at 9am on Wednesday, but the tables will be open all day. You can pick and choose what you want to attend. You can just rock up to one workshop, or go to the opening ceremony to network with all the politicians and TV people, or best of all, savour the entirety of the two days.

3. Whatever you're interested in, there will be something for you. Under the themes of cultural ID, arts/media/culture, social policy/activism and mental health and gambling, there are heaps and heaps of workshops. They range from navel-gazing serious stuff like "examining the meaning of the word 'ethnic'", to "breakdancing 101", to "muslim women in the media", to "how to write for street press", to "queer issues". Workshops are in small groups and interactive. There are also four hall-style plenaries over the two days, consisting of speakers, hip-hop performances and short films.

4. The extra-conference stuff is cool too. At lunch on Wednesday, an Aboriginal artist will have a humungous community canvas that everyone can add to. On Thursday there will be a information market run by all the sponsors, where you'll probably score even more FREEBIES!

5. You can share ideas with other young people and hear what others are going through. Don't worry if you're not a hard-core anti-racism activist. If you have the slightest interest in multicultural issues, rock up. Want to see Asian/Mediterranean/Arab/African/whatever faces on TV outside of SBS? Sick of the "but what are you REALLY?" question? Come discuss, rant, laugh, and even come up with solutions.

You have nothing to lose and FREEBIES to gain, so sign up now! Here's the site again: http://www.eccnsw.org.au/spectrum/

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
if we sign up but can't make it can we still win an ipod :p

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
No events at the Con. I refuse to participate unless they are going to cater for Con students.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Isn't this for the general public. It's just held at usyd isn't it? Doesn't look like this is associated with usyd or the union in any way.

Oh and I've been working on my rhyming:
Con: schmon

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
No events at the Con. I refuse to participate unless they are going to cater for Con students.
Do you ever hold events at the Con? If so, do you make sure there is a corresponding event held at main campus (and technically, all the other campuses too) simultaneously? I know the Con might get left out more, but that's because there are more students at main campus and hence more events.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Phanatical said:
I refuse to participate unless they are going to cater for Con students.
By "cater for Con students", do you mean "translate everything into single syllable words"?

temuet

HSC
-

1Time4thePpl: hah, don't you think they thought of that? you have to register online AND sign in on the day.

Phanatical: it's not a USyd event, it's organised by the Ethnic Communities Council and there will be delegates from all over NSW. People are travelling from much further than the Con (like from Newcastle)!

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Techie said:
Do you ever hold events at the Con? If so, do you make sure there is a corresponding event held at main campus (and technically, all the other campuses too) simultaneously? I know the Con might get left out more, but that's because there are more students at main campus and hence more events.
Both the CSA and SECS hold events on main campus - SECS holds over 75% of events outside of the Con's Macquarie St. facility - last year we did concerts in Manning and Holme, and did several concerts at the Old Darlington School (which is technically now part of the Con). We also maintain ties not only to our home Composition Unit, but also the Arts Music Unit at the Seymour. All is good - we are not hypocrites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)