spirited away (1 Viewer)

oriphin

HSC
Hey guys i am just having some trouble with SA

what do you guys think of this as a technique yay or nay

Materialism
“don’t worry, you’ve got Daddy here. He’s got credit cards and cash”
“don’t worry I’ve got 4wd”
Shows us the world that Chiro comes from as provides us with the stark contrast of her world and the spirit world

any resorces you guys have would be much loved also :) thankyou

HSC
hmm...I'd say to turn away from materialism as a topic, 'cause the focus is journey and materialism isn't that much of a use.

If you're focusing on physical journey, perhaps then the need for Chiro to adapt to a new environment is a new point.

For Inner journeys, there's a lot to be said about for Chiro's obvious frightened little girl to a girl who perserveres through her love of her parents, of the White Dragon guy (can't remember his name)

She learns to take on the challenges to save the ones she loves. That's invaluable for building character - I'd mention the turning point events such as the bathing of the river god, affirming her presence as resourceful. Then the determination to find a way to solve both white dragon's curse and face the twin witch sister, to return home.

I guess it's a little late for me to say much but good luck anyways~!

nwatts

HSC
This is one imaginative journey text that just won't work as well as an inner journey.

oriphin

HSC
no trust me it works
ok i have changed
steriotype of materialistic parents
and i am useing it to contrast chihiros upbringing and the knowlage base she grew up with thus providing a indepth view of the changes she must make to survive in the spirit world

oh and its a inner journer... she grows changes values and reflects! what more is needed ;)

BrotherJim

HSC
Yea i would like to do SA awell, i was more thinking about Shihiro's achievements from being afraid, confused and ultimately relying on her parents, to being confident and able to fend for herself and understand the basic morals needed to make it through a conjested and busy world.

nwatts

HSC
I don't think she comes to realise the morality of her situation or how that affects her life. I think the journey is more a process of awakening her understanding/maturity/confidence as she's forced to establish an individual character separate from her parents and her familiar world. Miyazaki's traditional value for the character who overcomes adversity shines through as Chihiro holds onto her name and her little dragon friend in order to escape and save her parents.

While this text would work, I think that there are others which would suit an area of study essay far more effectively. I'd have difficulty synthesising this text with my set text (which was My Place) and I'd have difficulty conveying enough detail in the 40mins that you're set. I think there are better films to use - The Godfather and The Motorcycle Diaries are my two picks - that blend well with an AOS essay.

BrotherJim

HSC
omg...............would fight club be a good text for inner journeys?

nwatts

HSC
BrotherJim said:
omg...............would fight club be a good text for inner journeys?
Probably. I haven't watched it in a few months.

It's best to find a text that has something to say about the inner journey, rather than picking one with an inner journey. You'll find this way your essays gain a little complexity without you even trying. For example, I used The Motorcycle Diaries, which featured a fantastic inner journey, but it also had a lot to say about how the journey is often not a conscious endeavour we embark upon, and that the discoveries and insight gained on the journey serve to shape our character into one which mirrors our personal context and ideology.

Che Guevara (Cuban revolutionary) was shaped through the oppression he witnessed at the hands of right-wing governments, and was then compelled to become a Marxist leftie and free the working class oppressed. :p His journey was that of discovering his true values and such, which were shaped by his experiences through an inner journey that was not at all an active process.

Krustallosice

HSC
I wanna do spirited away as well but i can't find much to relate to inner journeys besides the fact that chihiro matured into a girl that's not timid and afriad to do what she thinks is right. And also that she became more independent and confident in herself. Neone has ne more suggestions? I sounds like a good text to do and adds variety in the texts ur doing <<shruggs>>

Tahlliah

HSC
Hi i just started yr 12 this term an want to get ahead. we just got the first assesment for physical journey ort. i have chosen spirite away could any one help me with some good points eg
what your opinion the physical journey is
The impact of the PJ
language forms and features

i do have these but my tacher said i need some more good points.

i also am considering Under a tuscan sun instead and useing SA for inner what do u think

Thanks
:)

purpleswirlz

HSC
hey all
i just started my first assessment on physical journeys and am considering doing spirited away, but am unsure as to how well it portrays the underlying assumptions about the journey..
any help would be greatly appreciated

-Wraith-

HSC
hmm...I'd say to turn away from materialism as a topic, 'cause the focus is journey and materialism isn't that much of a use.

If you're focusing on physical journey, perhaps then the need for Chiro to adapt to a new environment is a new point.

For Inner journeys, there's a lot to be said about for Chiro's obvious frightened little girl to a girl who perserveres through her love of her parents, of the White Dragon guy (can't remember his name)

She learns to take on the challenges to save the ones she loves. That's invaluable for building character - I'd mention the turning point events such as the bathing of the river god, affirming her presence as resourceful. Then the determination to find a way to solve both white dragon's curse and face the twin witch sister, to return home.

I guess it's a little late for me to say much but good luck anyways~!
The Dragon is the Spirit of th Kohukoo River, it says in the end thats his name (kohukoo river) or if u want his other name its hukoo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)