• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Stalin question ?? (1 Viewer)

Twiggyy

twiggy
HSC
Hey guys im a bit confused at this and im hoping if theres any1 to clear it up for me.
Okay well with Stalin and the non agression pact, he signed it for a couple of reasons but was one of them becuz he knew a war with germany was inevitable bcuz germany was expanding at a rapid rate, so he signed it so he could buy valuable time to prepare 4 the war... cuz this is found in a few textbooks

if this is tru.. then can i ask why did Stalin refuse to believe the Nazis invaded in operation barbarossa in 1941, bcuz according to sum text books he did not believe the nazis were invading even though they had nearly reached the major russian cities... the man even disappeared 4 a month 2 his country home becuz he lost confidence! Now thinking logically, if a man knew that a war was inevitable.. wouldnt he be ready for the war rather than running away??

Can any1 make sense of this??

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Twiggyy said:
Hey guys im a bit confused at this and im hoping if theres any1 to clear it up for me.
Okay well with Stalin and the non agression pact, he signed it for a couple of reasons but was one of them becuz he knew a war with germany was inevitable bcuz germany was expanding at a rapid rate, so he signed it so he could buy valuable time to prepare 4 the war... cuz this is found in a few textbooks

if this is tru.. then can i ask why did Stalin refuse to believe the Nazis invaded in operation barbarossa in 1941, bcuz according to sum text books he did not believe the nazis were invading even though they had nearly reached the major russian cities... the man even disappeared 4 a month 2 his country home becuz he lost confidence! Now thinking logically, if a man knew that a war was inevitable.. wouldnt he be ready for the war rather than running away??

Can any1 make sense of this??
I've seen your earlier threads - could you read the FAQ about posting please. there seems to be a duplicate as well.
history is quite complex. have you read animal farm? If you're doing Russia as your national study then it is quite helpful - it's an allegory of the Bolshevik takeover.

Basically Stalin went around to everyone asking for an alliance to protect Russia against the Nazis (France and Britain). But no one took him up on his offer - firstly they were suspicious of communism and annoyed by the fact that the Bolsheviks refused to repay the tsar's war debts, and while some of them had recognised the existence of the Bolshevik state, it was not akin to 'friendship'. Stalin kept at it - he may have been a terrible dictator but one thing that can be said was that he was consistent with trying to accrue foreign support against the Nazis. Logically, since the Nazis were against communism and they regarded Slavs as sub human. See Spanish Civil War, a couple of other treaties France and Britain signed. France and Britain were on a policy of appeasement mostly out of guilt for Versailles.

You're right. So though Stalin would have much prefered an alliance with the Allies he really had no choice but to sign the Nazi Soviet Pact - it delayed war and gave Russia time to prepare.

As regards his refusing to acknowledge the fact that the Nazis had invaded - no one can be sure. Firstly, well they had signed the Pact. The Allied countries had been trying to stir up tensions between the Nazis and the USSR + combined with many previous rejections for an alliance so understandably he was quite suspicious of their motives. Another thing Stalin was immensely paranoid as a person - remember all the purges and people he executed for ridiculous reasons?

Maybe listen to your teacher a bit more.

Twiggyy

twiggy
HSC
yeah okay...

Umm sweety i actually do listen in class.
Maybe if my teacher taught me properly i wouldnt hav had to ask the question.
And i am pretty sure many other people on this site do listen in class, but they are still confused about certain aspects of the syllabus. Hence they ask questions.
But thanx anyway for ur response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)