Standard Packages (1 Viewer)

undalay

HSC
ask ur teacher?
I think they usually have standard packages.
That way you don't need to pay aha.

cs01001

HSC
BOS has become a cheap ass and stopped releasing online standard packages after 2002. However, you can still get the more recent ones printed in all good book stores.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
They're pretty good, especially as a use for guiding you through essay questions in English and other humanity subjects.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cs01001 said:
BOS has become a cheap ass and stopped releasing online standard packages after 2002. However, you can still get the more recent ones printed in all good book stores.
"good book stores"? What could be examples of that?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure the Board of Studies only sells those standard resources packages.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
its stupid that they are for sale.
everyone should have access to them.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah, I meant those. By the way, if you buy one, do you get something extra apart from what they have on the internet?
No, if you purchased them you would get exactly the same as what is avaliable here, http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/go/hsc/std-packs/, except you would get a CD with the files on them, but the same material. Hence don't buy them.

cs01001 said:
This is not the truth. They stopped releasing them after 2002, because they only ever release standard packages when a new course is introduced, or a new syllabus is implemented. (They made the 2002 ones because there were some changes to the system, i think). But for most subjects there are only 2001 and 2002 standard packages. You cannot get printed ones in a book store.

I think what you are talking about is the Student Answers books which are only available in printed form, either from a good bookshop or BOS Online Shop, or a good library. These are only available for some courses and are not standard packages.

Kujah said:
I'm pretty sure the Board of Studies only sells those standard resources packages.
No. They are free. However the student answers booklets are not freely available.

risole91 said:
its stupid that they are for sale.
everyone should have access to them.
Yes. They should be free. I think its disgraceful that they sell them, I think that they should produce student answer booklets, or standard packages for all subjects for all years, but I don't think the Board can afford that?. But the prices are not overly expensive, remembering that they have to pay for production costs. Besides, your school should have a copy, (if they don't then you go to a crap school), and you should be able to access them through your school.

lyounamu said:
"good book stores"? What could be examples of that?
Try here, https://bosho.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/links/shoponline.html

lyounamu said:
Does anyone use them? Are they any good?
I used them, mainly for getting an idea about what kinds of things I had to say in an answer to get full marks for the question. They are good, but they are only available for at most two different years, more years would be better.

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC
One needs to be very cautious when using the standards packages, because the essays they present are only borderline band 5/6, 3/4 etc. I've read some not-so-great essays which supposedly scored a very high mark...

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Zephyrio said:
One needs to be very cautious when using the standards packages, because the essays they present are only borderline band 5/6, 3/4 etc. I've read some not-so-great essays which supposedly scored a very high mark...
yeah.. my English teacher read a band high range response and said that he thought it was pretty ordinary, and that he expects we all do better than that.

calslut

Banned
HSC
usually the only good ones are the exemplars.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
And some of the writing can just be really, really atrocious. Turns me off from actually reading some of the exemplar responses.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Without Wings said:
There are more recent standard packages for some subjects eg: modern/ancient history due to various reasons. It isn't really necessary to release them every year for every subject to serve their purpose.
That's only because major changes were made to the syllabus, which I mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)