streetscapes of pompeii and herc. (1 Viewer)

case88

HSC
hey, i know most of you probably have trials and stuff going on, but i'd really appreciate it if someone can help me out here. my exam's at the end of the week, and it's on a few selected topics. in the core, we're going to the tested on the "plans and streetscapes of pompeii and herculaneum" ...?

i have essentially no notes on this, and really, really need help
thanks

kisschasysunday

HSC
cardini: streets which crossed the towns along the north-south axis

decumani:
main roads on eat-west axis

via: road

The grid pattern design of the roads within P & H were designed according to the principles of the Greek architect Hippodamos. This shows the Hellenic influences on the towns.

As a source, you can mention the worn down stones of the Via dell'Abbodanza. This was the main road leading to the Forum, and it's sides are worn down from carts etc.

We weren't given much info on this either.

case88

HSC
hey, thanks a lot for that.
i was also wondering if there were any characteristic and/or distinguishing features of the roads of pompeii and herculaneum... like u mentioned they "were worn dow by carts"
... and other evidence along the same lines? eg. i think they had public shrines on the roads (not sure about this one)?
i know i'm being really obscure and demanding, but any help would be appreciated!
thanks again

Cpt obvious

HSC
The steping stones were also used because sewage went on the road .

Also with that topic i guess u could talk about what buildings were typical of a roman town i.e. a roman town usually had a forum, public baths, temples etc

HSC
Pompeii is thought to be the wealthier commericial/trade towncompared to Herculanuem - which is thought to be a lower-class resort/fishing town. This is seen in the wheel ruts in the roads of Pompeii, particularly along the Via del Abbondanza, suggesting alot of commercial traffic and goods travelled through Pompeii. There's no evidence of wheel ruts in Herculaneum. Pompeii also has more grand/decorative architecture eg: fountains and it also has mor public buildings eg: 4 baths compared to Herculaneum's 2. However, much of Herculaneum remains unexcavated.

There's evidence Herculanuem had better sanitation than Pompeii. The strees of Pompeii has stepping stones, whereas Herculaneum's didn't. Herculaneum had an effcient drainage system with an underground sewer.

Both towns followed the structure of GReek town planning and contained buildings of Roman towns eg: palaestra - suggests they followed the Roman way of life.

There's heaps more, but I hope what I have written has helped. The key is to write about the features of the streetscapes and say what they say about the town , it's function, people's lifestyles etc. Go beyond just describing what the features are and what the town looks like, that is what will push your marks up.

case88

HSC
hey, thanks for that. unfortunately, i didnt get to read that before the exam, but that does help me for the HSC. but i did "elaborate" extensively on the stepping stones, so thanks for that! i'ppreciate it

HSC
grovy_girl11000 said:
Pompeii is thought to be the wealthier commericial/trade towncompared to Herculanuem - which is thought to be a lower-class resort/fishing town. This is seen in the wheel ruts in the roads of Pompeii, particularly along the Via del Abbondanza, suggesting alot of commercial traffic and goods travelled through Pompeii. There's no evidence of wheel ruts in Herculaneum. Pompeii also has more grand/decorative architecture eg: fountains and it also has mor public buildings eg: 4 baths compared to Herculaneum's 2. However, much of Herculaneum remains unexcavated.

There's evidence Herculanuem had better sanitation than Pompeii. The strees of Pompeii has stepping stones, whereas Herculaneum's didn't. Herculaneum had an effcient drainage system with an underground sewer.

Both towns followed the structure of GReek town planning and contained buildings of Roman towns eg: palaestra - suggests they followed the Roman way of life.

There's heaps more, but I hope what I have written has helped. The key is to write about the features of the streetscapes and say what they say about the town , it's function, people's lifestyles etc. Go beyond just describing what the features are and what the town looks like, that is what will push your marks up.

oooooh thanks, i have an exam with this stuff in it next week, so thanks :)

mattfeno

HSC
dont 4get the via del'abbondanza.
and the roads in pompeii were minimum of 5m in width i think
and in hurculaneum it was 3 m.
and herculanuem didnt have stepping stones, its gutters were not as high as the ones im Pompeii.

HSC
wait so is the Via Dell Abodanza a cardini or decumani
and I'm assuming that they are the plural, so what is the singular form (or plural) of Cardini and Decumani

Julia24

HSC
Pretty insightful post. Never thought that it was this simple after all. I had spent a good deal of my time looking for someone to explain this subject clearly and you’re the only one that ever did that. Kudos to you! Keep it up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)