• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Stuck!-Help Needed (1 Viewer)

xjpmmx

HSC
I really need some advice on what to do regarding subjects.

My year 11 subjects are as follows-
Economics
Biology
Maths Ext
Eng Ext
Chemistry

Well after going to a couple english advanced and extension classes, i have decided that english isnt really for me, and i dont really want to do extension anymore.
If i drop it, that would leave me with 11 units, my school requires that i have 12, which means that i have 2 options.
p.s my school doesnt have 1unit subjects other than extensions

1. Pick up a 2 unit subject, and do 13 units, with maths extension offline.
2. Stay with english extension just for the prelim year, so i can do 11 units in my hsc year

In year 12 i ideally want to have 12 units or less, the implications of picking number 1. would mean that i would have to drop my maths ext, which i dont want to.

If i picked number 2., and had 11 units in year 12, wouldnt that mean that in the calculation of the uai, that i can only afford to stuff up and score lowest in ext maths? because if i stuffed up anything else, it would be calculated in the best 10 anyway.

So i just want to know if i should choose 1 or 2, and also would 11 units be a bad choice for the hsc (its a bit risky,ext maths would unlikely be my lowest scoring subject.) or should i pick up a 2unit subject at the beginning of the hsc year, and do 13(i really dont want to).

Thanks!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
By the sounds of it, you really don't want to do English extension. But it's only your first couple of days, and I suggest you find out how you find the subject in two-three weeks time.

If, however, you still don't like it, you should do 1. I don't think you would want to do a subject because you have to. Imagine doing a subject that you find a boring throughout the year. You'd probably start bludging, and this could affect how you study and work for other subjects.

You could pick up a 2u subject (anything that must INTEREST you), and go along with it this year.

For the 10/11/12/13 units dilemma in the HSC, it's really up to you. Most choose 12 units as it gives them a back up, but others choose 10/11 units as it gives them extra free periods for studying/working. If you do 13 units, it will be up to your time management, effort, and attitude to see whether you can cope. By the sounds of it, you really don't want to do 13 units, so go with 11 units.

But you also have to consult your teachers, head teachers, career advisers, deupties, family, friends and most importantly, yourself, to help you make a decision that you will not regret for your next 2 yrs.

LiiL

HSC
N/A
Give it a few more lessons - it takes more than a couple of them to determine whether is the subject for you or not.
Can you pick up another one unit subject - Studies of Religion? Scales good.
In the end, don't do something you don't want to do or not interested in because you won't be motivated enough to do your best and take it seriously.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
xjpmmx said:
If i picked number 2., and had 11 units in year 12, wouldnt that mean that in the calculation of the uai, that i can only afford to stuff up and score lowest in ext maths? because if i stuffed up anything else, it would be calculated in the best 10 anyway.

So i just want to know if i should choose 1 or 2, and also would 11 units be a bad choice for the hsc (its a bit risky,ext maths would unlikely be my lowest scoring subject.) or should i pick up a 2unit subject at the beginning of the hsc year, and do 13(i really dont want to).

Thanks!
Umm, no. Each 2 unit subject is split up into 2 groups of 1 unit each, therefore if extension maths is higher than another subject, they would just take half, or 1 unit of the worst perfoming 2 unit subject and use that in their calculations, along with the extension unit.

hkgirl

HSC
i would say give english ext a few more lesson,
who knows what they could lead to? :D
a new horizon of imagination they say! hehe.

but if you really do hate it - DROP IT.
& then pick up a 2unit subject.
perfect example, i'm doing 13units at the moment,
yes it's quite a bit of load, since i'm doing 6 subs with maths ext1.
but who knows what if i fail maths ext1? may drop that too, (i'm currently in year12)
and then i'll still have 12units, 10 for uai and 2 for backup.

it will work out alright. esp since your school is the same as mine,
12units as minimum.

i think that will be fine?

hope that help =) goodluck.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
I did 14 Units through Year 11 - it was fine. I highly recommend keeping Eng Ext though - that course was simply amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)